Motorbike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If you can move within the lane in a car without changing lanes, I would say, in general, don't indicate.

There may be times when you ere signalling an obstruction to a car which is tailgating, for instance, but a signal (arm or flashing bulb) is to indicate that you are changing speed or direction, and moving within the lane to overtake a parked car or a cyclist is not usually either of those

I would have failed my test had I not indicated to say I was passing a parked car. Nothing was tailgating me.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I would have failed my test had I not indicated to say I was passing a parked car. Nothing was tailgating me.

Doesn't it depend on the situation? There are times where I would indicate when passing a parked car, and others when I wouldn't. It's not black or white IMO.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Doesn't it depend on the situation? There are times where I would indicate when passing a parked car, and others when I wouldn't. It's not black or white IMO.

If there are cars behind me I indicate. If not there is no reason to unless I will need to cross the white line and there is on coming traffic in which case I will indicate.

cd365

Guru
Thats overdoing it a bit unless your already doing 90+mph on an open stretch of lonely road. When Im cycling I appreciate it if drivers give me at least 1.5 to 2 feet of space (about what cars typically do). Its not necessary to move over into the next lane unless your driving seriously fast or theres surface water and your being considerate to the cyclist. I ride a motorcycle and I will typically move out near to the centre of the road but staying in my lane.

1.5 to 2 feet of space!! Wow that is almost on top of you.
I nearly always move to the other side of the road when overtaking a cyclist, it is how I want to be overtaken when I'm cycling. Treat others as you want to be treated yourself.

I have had motorcyclists overtake me on the other side of the road and due to their exhause noise and the fact I didn't hear them coming it has startled me. They were, in my opinion, perfectly good overtakes, just noisy and unexpected ones. I have never been "stalth bombed" and can not believe any motorcylist would, if you hit a cyclist you come off, you get badly hurt, so flying past close just to scare a cyclist and putting their own life at risk does not make sense to me. It is more likely a bad motorcyclist who has got his road postioning badly wrong.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So, you were not being entirely contradictory for the sake of it.

Just mostly.

Look at it this way Norm. I would rather be behind someone and wonder why he/she is indicating than just come up against a slow moving / stationary vehicle without warning.

Nothing I have said is contradictory as I indicate when passing something if I need to cross the white line or not.

Ericck

Regular
Ooh what a heated debate.

I ride both a pushbike and a motorbike and drive a car
if I really have to.

Lets face it there are jerks in control of all forms of transport on our
roads and pavements, including mobility scooters these days.

apollo179

I personally on high speed roads stick as close to the gutter as i can - its not worth endangering your safety for some idea of cyclists rights to road position. Ime its high speed roads that this scary passing happens and the nearer the kerb i can be the better.
Save ideas of asserting your road position for lower speed urban areas.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
hi powerd bikes and darwin? the question i have should i come across one of these nutters laying in the road is it ok just to sit and watch , rather than try to help? if i did help wouldent i be interfering with natural selection?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I personally on high speed roads stick as close to the gutter as i can - its not worth endangering your safety for some idea of cyclists rights to road position. Ime its high speed roads that this scary passing happens and the nearer the kerb i can be the better.
Save ideas of asserting your road position for lower speed urban areas.

Well no disrespect but until recently you thought it was legal to run red lights so excuse me if I (ans possibly others) do not take anything you say a valid.

When you are by the curb and a car cuts you up where do is your escape zone?

apollo179

Well no disrespect but until recently you thought it was legal to run red lights so excuse me if I (ans possibly others) do not take anything you say a valid.

When you are by the curb and a car cuts you up where do is your escape zone?

No disrespect taken. I realise (ans possibly others) that you are a mischeivous little :troll:.

Top Bottom