Motorbike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
When did i go running to the mods crying ?

Apparently whenever people upset you.

apollo179

Apparently whenever people upset you.

The only time the moderator has intervened between us was when you resorted to foul and abusive language.
I can assure you that i did not complain to anybody , definitely not the moderator.
You acknowledged that you have an anger management problem and apologised.
I accepted your apology.
Cant we put it behind us and move on?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The only time the moderator has intervened between us was when you resorted to foul and abusive language.
I can assure you that i did not complain to anybody , definitely not the moderator.
You acknowledged that you have an anger management problem and apologised.
I accepted your apology.
Cant we put it behind us and move on?

Indeed. I just think that suggesting to people that riding in the gutter on fast roads is a good idea will not go down that well, especially as you have demonstrated a very poor knowledge of both road crafty and law.

apollo179

Indeed. I just think that suggesting to people that riding in the gutter on fast roads is a good idea will not go down that well, especially as you have demonstrated a very poor knowledge of both road crafty and law.

Well lets see what people think :
Is cycling as close to the gutter as possible the best option on high speed roads.
Or
Is asserting your right to cycle in secondary position the best option On high speed roads.
I may be wrong but personally i stay as far away from danger as i can within reasons.

Bobtoo

Über Member
The incident described by the OP is one of the main reasons why you shouldn't ride in the gutter. If you don't behave like part of the traffic you won't be treated like it.

It's not just about defending position though, the gutter is full of hazards- drain covers, broken glass, protruding kerbs, gravel, roadkill, litter being some examples.

400bhp

Guru
I did fail a car test for indicating to pass parked cars told I was waisting my time and might confuse cars that could be coming from the opporsite direction WTF

Not seen that one before-classic :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well lets see what people think :
Is cycling as close to the gutter as possible the best option on high speed roads.
Or
Is asserting your right to cycle in secondary position the best option On high speed roads.
I may be wrong but personally i stay as far away from danger as i can within reasons.

We don't cycle in secondary, or primary come to that, merely to assert our rights. We cycle there because it's the safest road position.
Cycling further out will reduce the number of close passes you get.

400bhp

Guru
We don't cycle in secondary, or primary come to that, merely to assert our rights. We cycle there because it's the safest road position.
Cycling further out will reduce the number of close passes you get.

Does everyone though?

It does sometimes appear, from the outside looking in, that the tail wags the dog so to speak.

Mad at urage

I personally on high speed roads stick as close to the gutter as i can - its not worth endangering your safety for some idea of cyclists rights to road position. Ime its high speed roads that this scary passing happens and the nearer the kerb i can be the better.
Save ideas of asserting your road position for lower speed urban areas.
The two highlighted points are probably related and are reinforcing each other.

You ride in the gutter on high speed roads, therefore the drivers do not need to move out, nor to think before they speed past you.

Riding out from the gutter is not designed to assert your road position, it instead puts you in a place where drivers are looking, it forces them to make a decision and deviate from line. If they still maintain a high speed, it gives you somewhere to escape to without hitting the kerb / verge.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Riding out from the gutter is not designed to assert your road position, it instead puts you in a place where drivers are looking, it forces them to make a decision and deviate from line.

That's the same thing isn't it? It's certainly what I meant. It's saying "I'm here, I'm part of the traffic and you have to deal with me as such".

400bhp

Guru
Benb, what I was intimating at is perhaps an overemphasis on following some intended doctorine (cyclecraft-primary or whatever you wish to call it), at the detriment of riding to suit the surroundings.

Top Bottom