Motorbikes in bus lanes -Birmingham development

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I always thought that bus and cycle lanes were just that... no other vehicles allowed. Well, except for Taxis

Mike!

Guru
As a biker i doubt you'll get any problems from them as they are a vunerable road user too so have an idea of your concerns!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Mike! said:
As a biker i doubt you'll get any problems from them as they are a vunerable road user too so have an idea of your concerns!

Am afraid experience in London suggests otherwise, but I hope you're right.

Be very careful when filtering into this lane across traffic, as there might be very fast moving bikes in it. And beware the close and blippy overtake. Its noisy. Its sudden. Its scary.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I'm not particularly happy about motorbikes in bus lanes. No major problems, but that's almost certainly only because I keep an eye out for them and give a big wobble before they get to me, which forces them to give plenty of room.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've found the majority of motorbikes to be ok but you do get some suspect behaviour from the minority: pulling up on my left in an ASL which is just a bit annoying really, I let them set off first and get out of the way. Then there's the idiots on the loud bikes (Suzuki SRAM I think is one brand) that do very close overtakes just to make you jump. :biggrin:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I've not had overly many issues with motorbikes in London but cripes moped riders can be a concern. Motorbikes seem to keep a more even throttle and speed in traffic where as moped riders often seem to be on and off the brakes and accelerator, ducking and weaving through traffic.

I think HaloJ is right here. I don't mind sharing with motorbikes on the whole, but its the mopeds and scooters which are a pain. Very badly driven - possibly because a lot of them are on an eternal L plate, whereas 'proper' motorcyclists have to pass a test.

That said, you need to be careful about encroachment. ASLs get taken over, and they start using bus lanes they aren't supposed to be in. It's a bit of a concern.

thomas

the tank engine
clarion said:
I think HaloJ is right here. I don't mind sharing with motorbikes on the whole, but its the mopeds and scooters which are a pain. Very badly driven - possibly because a lot of them are on an eternal L plate, whereas 'proper' motorcyclists have to pass a test.

That said, you need to be careful about encroachment. ASLs get taken over, and they start using bus lanes they aren't supposed to be in. It's a bit of a concern.

Those proper motorcyclists have had L plates at one point :biggrin:.

I've just been and bought a motorbike helmet, so come Saturday I'll jump on my L plated scooter and start terrorising you lot :angry:

(nah, I'll be friendly)

Top Bottom