Motorbikes in cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

Really annoying this morning getting cut up in the cycle lane going north just north of Streatham station when 2 motorcycles undertook slow moving cars and squeezed past me. Both idiot motorcyclists whilst in the cycle lane even undertook 2 left turning lorries approaching the turn.

Hate this shared bus lane scheme with motorbikes. They're much too fast and don't give enough room. I like to keep out in the bus lanes to ensure the buses and taxis don't cut me up but then I'm in the way of the motorbikes so they pass close or else swerve round. Difficult to get the positioning right. The scooters are the worst.

I'm not anti motorcycles as I've had many over the years but disagree that they should share the same space as cycles given my experiences so far.

What do you think - shared use bus lanes with motorbikes? Don't forget this is in London so driving/riding attitudes are more aggressive.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I don't have a problem with them in Bus lanes, not in London at least. It's someone who's not in a car or van.......

Evilcat

Have lost count of the times that the ASL box is full of moped riders who then cut me up in a cloud of partially burnt fuel when the amber light comes on. Maybe next time I will have words...

BC

col

Legendary Member
This could be compared to us,jumping on the pavement and swerving between peds,shouldnt happen,so keep them out i say.

When I came accross a idiot on a motor bike this morning in the cycle lane I remebered this thread. We have a Cycle lane that goes in between lanes, the inside lane is usually full of buses and left turners. This idiot on the motorbike shot up the cycle lane until he got level with the cab of a bus he then stopped blocking the lane and waited for the bus to pass, going straight before he turned left. Why he didn't just pull into the space behind the bus baffles me.

Emu

I don't particulalry have any problems with the idea of motorbikes in bus lanes. Logan 5, the bus Lanes up Steatham High Road from Norbury are in such a bad state that you have to be at least a metre from the kerb otherwise the bike'd end up down a hole! There'd be plenty of space for bikes and motorbikes if the roads were in a better condition. I've not cycled up as far as Streatham station recently but it's a funny bit of cycle lane there. Isn't it seperated from the road by pillars or something?

I've always considered motorcyclists to be OK and scooter riders to be the worst - they tend to ride like they are on cycles, weaving in and out of cars and I've even seen them go up onto the pavement to get round buses - but then I was overtaken this morning on Battersea Park Road by a guy on a big Suzuki pulling a wheelie as he came off the traffic lights. He must have been doing a good 50mph or so (how fast do you need to go to pull a wheelie?). Absolutely idiotic and approaching a school - thank god it was half-term)

gbb

Legendary Member
'Hate this shared bus lane scheme with motorbikes'.....
is the main point here

Motorcycles are allowed in shared bus/cycle lanes....as are taxis...in Peterborough at least.

Personally, i never saw why taxis should be given any preference. Motorcycles are accepted as more city friendly, but 99% of taxis only have one passenger. Take away the driver, and they havnt made any impact on congestion or pollution.

Top Bottom