Motorbikes in the ASL, OK or not OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
No, but if they don't pull into the ASL they block the way in for cyclists so can be more dangerous. The only safe way would be to have an AASL for motorbikes and an ASL for cyclists.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Which is good reason to facilitate getting them to the front and away. No?
I get your point but that's not really what I'm talking about. My point is that a motorcycle can pull away with traffic, at the same pace so doesn't "NEED" a safe place to get started from.

A Motorcyclist can sit in traffic and pull away without worrying about being hit from behind as they do so..

I'd suggest that encouraging motorbikes to "get to the ASL" will also encourage speeding away from lights, so its best to let them find a landing spot or encourage them to just sit in the traffic.

The issue that motorcyclist have...and i experience this, is that being on a motorbike means that you can filter to cut journey times and avoid all tailbacks, if you are not going to filter, then why would you risk riding a motorbike. Very often this results in a motorcyclist filtering right up to the lights and not being able to "get in" hence the temptation to use the ASL

But this is just lazy riding (which I am guilty of too) and is relying on the presence of an ASL to often save your bacon.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
We can exert peer pressure. If my space is impeded, I will point out that it is a cyclist facility and that should be respected first.
In London?...really

and you are still breathing?

Joking aside perhaps this is a regional thing. In London, my main worry is with the sheer number of motorcycles. An "official" change in the law would mean that the whole zone would fill up smart time with motorcycles, leaving nowhere for cyclist to pull away from the lights.

I know I would use them on my motorbike if I knew it was legal.

Already most ASZ/L's are pretty full each morning/evening on my commute with illegally placed motorcycles and as many have mentioned, you cant always reach the zone.

I frequently am forced to ride out beyond the ASL and sit in front of them, assuming I can get there in the first place...more often I just sit back a car or two.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Presumably motorcyclists can remember which junctions have ASLs as well as I can?
Well, you are assuming that ASL/z only exist on your commute, or on a road that you use every day. they are on other roads too. And you are also assuming that all Motorcyclists are always local, all the time.

Drago

Legendary Member
ASLs notwithstanding, I'd stop behind the first vehicle in the queue. It allows them to concentrate on making sure it's safe and getting themselves moving without distraction.

I can think of no reason why I'd want to bring my motorbike into an ASL, and I wouldn't consider it on either of my bikes, as one is too fat and unwieldy to filter comfortably, and the other doesn't have the best riding position for all round visibility while filtering.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am assuming that the majority of bikers I see on my commute are equally on theirs. Some of them I recognise and, one or two of those I am on nodding terms with.
Yes...but ASL's exist on other roads too Adrian...and are used by many riders who are not on a commute, during commuting times.

DRM

Guru
My understanding is that the ASL is for bicycles, not mechanically propelled vehicles, therefore a motor bike in the ASL has gone through a red traffic light, perhaps its time the police started enforcing this with regard to motorbikes, cars,vans & trucks

Top Bottom