Motorbikes in the ASL, OK or not OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned before.
Motorcycles in the Advance stop line/area. Me personally I've had maybe 1 or 2 problems with them stopping very close to me or sometimes Sandwiching me in the last 5 years or so, but overall I think that 99% of them are fine. I don't mind them in the ASL. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel this kind of 2 wheel respect thing going on even though the modes of travel are so much different.

What are your opinions?

Drago

Legendary Member
Keep them out. They don't suffer the performance disadvantage in relation to the rest of the traffic that bicycles do, so no need for them to be there.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I don't mind that much, so long as there's not loads of them cramming cyclists out of the ASL. Their acceleration is such that they're out of the way in a flash as the lights change anyway.

It's vans in the ASL that get to me...

OP
OP
Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Keep them out. They don't suffer the performance disadvantage in relation to the rest of the traffic that bicycles do, so no need for them to be there.
Good point, but when they are filtering to the front of a long traffic queue, maybe it is better for them to be seen by other road users instead of them waiting between 2 cars/trucks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No problem with it, especially when I'm riding one :okay:. Common sense must prevail as always though, and they shouldn't try to bully their way into the ASL, so only go there if there is sufficient space to do so. A motorbike will accelerate much faster than any car or pedal bike, so it's not as if they are going to be causing you any grief when the light turns green. Where's the problem?

keithmac

Guru
I don't mind them in the cycle box at all as long as there's room for cyclists (when I'm on the bicycle).

When I'm roadtesting motorbikes during the day I'll look ahead and if there's plenty of room I'll take the rhs of the box (cycles normally filter down the left).

Quite annoying when a van or car takes up the box though, can't be that hard to see you won't get though the lights..

subaqua

What’s the point
What really irks is when motorcyclists filter up to the line then block your entry to the box.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Not OK.
Motorbikes are not bicycles.*

*Well, technically they are - but a motorised bicycle is viewed as a different beast in the eyes of the law.

Top Bottom