Motorcycle barriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheffgirl

Are cyclists permitted to go through motorcycle barriers? By leaning the bike a bit I can get it through. There are a few I've noticed on routes I use which I assume are public bridle ways, there are no signs.
Are they there purely to prevent motorcycle use or should I not be there either? I'm confused, I'm pretty sure its ok to cycle in Beeley Wood but I'm not sure about the other route.

lukesdad

As long as its not a footpath.

D

Deleted member 23692

The idea of a Fearn Truck Body style barrier is to allow all permitted users through but not those who aren't - walkers, pushchairs. wheelchairs, bikes and mobility scooters etc can pass through, but motorbikes, horses and anything wider can't. They'd be illegal on a Public Bridleway as you can't get a horse through one, unless there is an alternative convenient access for equine use :smile:. They can also be used to limit access by closing up the gap, However it's very difficult to stop bikes as they can easily be hoiked over most barriers anyway

They are normally used in places that allow all the above mentioned permitted usage such and parks cycle routes and public footpaths (where the LO has agreed to, but not dedicated higher rights ;)), but as in most things there are exception to the rule :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
Try checking the net to find out what the paths/tracks you want to use are labled as. If [as said above] they are footpaths then no - if bridleways or "unmetaled roads" [there are still some about] then ride away.

D

Deleted member 23692

If [as said above] they are footpaths then no
Not strictly true - for example, a large part of the Sustrans network runs on public footpaths, simply because they've entered into an agreement with the land owner to allow such. They are still public footpaths and the local Highway Authority only has a duty to maintain, protect and assert the public's right to walk on them.

There are plenty of other mechanisms whereby a LO can allow access across their land without giving the public definitive rights.

Top Bottom