motorist jailed for cyclist death.....DISGUSTING

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I guess the speculation is because there is normally a delay of much more than a second and a half between the lights going red for one traffic flow and changing to green for another.

The intergreen period, phasing and stages vary from site to site. This is determined by a number of factors including turn radii, traffic speeds, gradients, lane widths, intervisibility etc. Do you know the intergreen period at the junction where the collision took place? Do you think the people commenting on the article do?

400bhp

Guru
And yet in Birmingham three men are charged with murder after a fatal hit and run during the riots

?

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1518946"]
He who makes things out of paper is talking sense, and at the same time trying to keep a wee bit of integrity in this thread before people start speculating.
[/quote]

Absolutely, my ? wasn't for the paper maker. He posts too quick. :whistle:

chris grace

As you think they are both the same?

Intent - you fail to grasp the issue entirely.

That's why we have legal process in this country and not angry mobs made up of people like you.

People like me?
Thats rather a large leap you've taken there Zoiders.
There is no comparison between an accidental rundown and a rundown in the middle of a riot.

I take offence at the way you have classed me as a rioter with no prior knowledge of me at all.

albion

Guru
A comment mentions he was a in pedestrian crossing mode at the time.

I recall years back, after a very long day on a motorbike I chose to jump at most a second after the red, not realising two girls/women were to walk across immediately on the red.

A terrifying emergency stop later I gently bumped into one of them. My fault certainly but shows what can happen when thinking does not happen.

Mr Celine

Discordian
The intergreen period, phasing and stages vary from site to site. This is determined by a number of factors including turn radii, traffic speeds, gradients, lane widths, intervisibility etc. Do you know the intergreen period at the junction where the collision took place? Do you think the people commenting on the article do?

Normal minimum intergreen between conflicting phases is five seconds. Three seconds amber for the phase losing priority followed by two seconds red/amber for the phase gaining priority. The intergreen can only be less than this where the potential collision point is far enough from the stop line of the phase gaining priority.

If the deceased was in pedestrian mode then this is of course irrelevant.

the snail

Guru
I chose to jump at most a second after the red

That's the thing, it wasn't an accident, it was a deliberate decision on your part. The same was true of the driver who killed the cyclist, he chose to ignore the amber and caused the collision. I'm surprised he wasn't charged with dangerous driving.

Parrot of Doom

The article doesn't really offer much information on which anyone else might offer an opinion. All I can say is that I've driven on that road once, and remember doing so because a speed camera van was lurking around there.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
No one should run reds full stop. However,had the collision been between 2 cars, I suspect it would have just been an insurance claim.

And what is your point? That it is ok to jump red lights because if you hit a car it is unlikely that you will kill someone?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Normal minimum intergreen between conflicting phases is five seconds. Three seconds amber for the phase losing priority followed by two seconds red/amber for the phase gaining priority. The intergreen can only be less than this where the potential collision point is far enough from the stop line of the phase gaining priority.

If the deceased was in pedestrian mode then this is of course irrelevant.

Intergreens and pedestrian phases are not irrelevant, Mr C. Different factors come into play (but they are considered alongside vehicular traffic): width of the crossing, assumed walking speed, pedestrian numbers, sightlines, dummy phasings etc and these factors are taken into account when analysing traffic control by light signals.

I would hope after this tragic event a review of the phasing and stages was carried out to see if any improvements to the junction could be made.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Intergreens and pedestrian phases are not irrelevant, Mr C.

I meant irrelevant in the sense that if the cyclist was walking the traffic signals showing to him were irrelevant to the question of who was to blame for the accident. Pedestrians do not have to comply with traffic signals. Only the driver jumped the red.

On the other hand if the cyclist was riding his bike then the traffic signals did apply to him. For a collision to have occurred so shortly after the driver's red then the lights were faulty or poorly designed as regards their phasing, or both the driver and the cyclist jumped their reds.

Top Bottom