Motorists could face £100 fine for driving too close to cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the car and cycle are in different lanes, eg bike in the usual gutter width cycle farcility and car in lane one would it still apply?
I don't think there's a draft yet, so who knows? Maybe they'll ban narrow cycle lanes too. And give us all guard unicorns.

podsquad

If this law was ever passed it would never be enforced as many of you say, if it was it would probably only be useful in highly built up areas like cities where no “cyclist” goes for a proper ride anyhow.

Those nice scenic rides we all go on would have 0 change and probably would frustrate drivers more. Our roads or too busy, and we all have different agendas so it will never be conflict free. You can’t even go to the petrol station without people getting into fights over a pump.

Several routes I ride regulary have 1.5m signs up now, the drivers who used to pass wide still do, the drivers that like to leave paint on your shoulder still do..

There will never be a solution, but perhaps educating new drivers, and drivers in general about the bigger picture and get more people on bikes to understand how vulnerable we are.

Some drivers seem to forget that the bike is powered by a person, who is someone’s son, daughter, husband, wife, has kids and supports many people. And this may come full circle one day as the ride may be their kid, dad, Mam or whoever, they then wouldn’t want their family member be n treated like that.

And if they were to seriously injur or kill the rider their own lives would also change dramatically, they wouldn’t be laughing then.

D

Deleted member 26715

And if they were to seriously injur or kill the rider their own lives would also change dramatically, they wouldn’t be laughing then.
But that's never going to happen to them though is it, it will always be somebody else it happens to. By I agree with everything you put.

Drago

Legendary Member
If someone argues the toss, how will the police prove that the minimum distance was encroached upon?

Its a bit like the old child seat laws, requiring children under 135cm to be in a child seat - the police had no powers to measure children, and had not been given calibrated tape measures anyway.

I'm all for the idea in principle, i just fail to see how it will get enforced if someone kicks back against it.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
If someone argues the toss, how will the police prove that the minimum distance was encroached upon?

Its a bit like the old child seat laws, requiring children under 135cm to be in a child seat - the police had no powers to measure children, and had not been given calibrated tape measures anyway.

I'm all for the idea in principle, i just fail to see how it will get enforced if someone kicks back against it.
If I can touch the passing vehicle, it's at 27" or closer. Caught on camera they'd not need much calibration.

Drago

Legendary Member
If I can touch the passing vehicle, it's at 27" or closer. Caught on camera they'd not need much calibration.

If you do touch it, then great. A vehicle could pass 4 inches away, and a defence solicitor will argue that black is white and say that it's 4 feet. They'll blame the time of day, shadows, perspective, lighting, the Rand Corporation, Ley Lines, whatever, it doesn't matter, a defence of a technical aspect of the evidence has been raised. So long as it's not utterly outlandish, the Court will accept that and it will require rebuttal.

It's then up to the police to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it is not the case. Without physical measurements (which won't happen, because coppers can't run alongside cyclists with calibrated tape measures), or expensive photoanalysis (which won't happen because of cost and therefore proportionality now the Forensic Science Service has closed) then there is no means of proving the case. Proof, proof, proof - opinion, no matter how seemingly obvious, won't cut it the moment someone chooses to go to Court over it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Rebuttal! I'll not be cutting my arm off for anyone. They can measure it in court.

Which is what was said to the owner of a freight company(Red trucks, N.T.).

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
What about a vehicle coming in the other direction will that have to give 1.5m many of the road I ride on that would be impossible.
I regularly get close passes from vehicles travelling too fast towards me on narrow rural roads. Better drivers slow right down when approaching and pull over. That behaviour would be encouraged if a 1.5m gap became the expected norm. A close pass is a close pass whichever direction it comes from.

D

Deleted member 26715

I regularly get close passes from vehicles travelling too fast towards me on narrow rural roads. Better drivers slow right down when approaching and pull over.
Yes, but there are still roads where even if they stop for me to pass there would never be 1.5M between us. I do agree it would be good to bring in but I think it's unenforceable.

Top Bottom