Motorists could face £100 fine for driving too close to cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Drivers in Britain could soon face a £100 fine for driving too close to cyclists on the road, following plans to introduce a new law.

The new law will require motorists to be at least 1.5 metres away from cyclists when passing or overtaking, with penalties incurred if drivers fail to comply.

Stricter regulations
If a motorist is found to be driving closer than the minimum passing distance, they could be hit with a £100 fine and three penalty points.

Calls for the new law to be introduced come as a means to offer more protection for cyclists and reduce the number of cycling-related accidents.

Recent figures released by the Department for Transport showed there were 18,450 pedal cyclist casualties in the year ending September 2017, of which 3,750 (20 per cent) were killed or seriously injured. Around 100 cyclists are killed in the UK every year.

The Highway Code has previously stated drivers should give cyclists “plenty of room” when passing, and “at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car”, but with the now clearer defined rules, it means motorists are more liable to facing punishment for dangerous driving.

Making the roads safer
It is hoped by making the law less ambiguous and enforcing a stricter and safer passing distance will encourage more people to take to two wheels.

Cycling Minister Jesse Norman said: “We need to become a nation of cyclists, and this government wants to make cycling the natural choice of transport for people of all ages and backgrounds.

“We are determined to make cycling safer and easier across the country and we are continuing to invest.

“We shouldn’t only concentrate on catching and punishing drivers when they make a mistake, but try to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to drive safely alongside cyclists in all conditions.”

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...clists/ar-BBNuDbk?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

How will this new law work?

Maybe some of our resident police can advise? But if somebody challenges the distance they passed at, what acceptable methods of evidence will the Police be able to present to allow for a prosecution of a driver?

lazyfatgit

My experience of similar laws here in NSW is that the average driver now takes a bit more care whilst passing. The dangerous nobbers who squeeze by with their foot on the floor haven’t changed.

If anything the haters have something more to bitch about.

There’s been a few prosecutions but in the same time since the trial was put in place and they also drastically increased fines for pavement cycling, no helmet etc, cyclists have been hammered.

Hopefully in time better education and regulation may improve driver behaviour.

[QUOTE 5385205, member: 9609"] (as much room as you would when overtaking a car) which is little to no meaning.[/QUOTE]

Even worse. As much room as I'd leave a car, is actually far less than I would leave a cyclist.

I know that it means to put your car in the same place when you overtake a cyclist as you would a car. But that's not what the sentence says.

byegad

Legendary Member
It will go the way of no smoking with children onboard and no handset use. On the books but ignored as there will be near zero enforcement.

Smudge

Veteran
I'd rather have this law than not have it, but everyone knows it wont make any difference.
Just like when they made it an offence to hog the middle lane on motorways... That came in years ago, but i haven't seen any reduction in middle lane hogging at all.

I'd rather have this law than not have it, but everyone knows it wont make any difference.
Just like when they made it an offence to hog the middle lane on motorways... That came in years ago, but i haven't seen any reduction in middle lane hogging at all.

I'd rather they spent money on policing the laws we have, rather than spending the money on making feel good laws that can't be enforced.

Smudge

Veteran
I'd rather they spent money on policing the laws we have, rather than spending the money on making feel good laws that can't be enforced.

Indeed.... Many of the incidents that these new laws would cover, are already covered as driving without due care and attention. But if they cant/dont enforce those, whats the point in new laws.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed.... Many of the incidents that these new laws would cover, are already covered as driving without due care and attention. But if they cant/dont enforce those, whats the point in new laws.
The point is to change the courts' interpretation of the law when it doesn't match what legislators want. Isn't that what many new laws do?

D

Deleted member 26715

What about a vehicle coming in the other direction will that have to give 1.5m many of the road I ride on that would be impossible.

Top Bottom