Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
And live radio commentary on the website too - currently listening to it.

Sam Bird's the second commentator this week. Happy Reynard :wub:

D

Deleted member 1258

Why are there different penalties for having a new PU?

Penalties are given in the following manner:

• The first time an additional element is used, the driver gets a 10-place grid penalty
  • The next time an additional element is used, the driver gets a five-place grid penalty
  • If a driver incurs a penalty exceeding 15 grid places, they will be required to start the race at the back

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ne-penalties-work.7aLmj23MgHiv9Rin48ROrY.html

Penalties are given in the following manner:

• The first time an additional element is used, the driver gets a 10-place grid penalty
  • The next time an additional element is used, the driver gets a five-place grid penalty
  • If a driver incurs a penalty exceeding 15 grid places, they will be required to start the race at the back

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ne-penalties-work.7aLmj23MgHiv9Rin48ROrY.html

I don't know why Verstappen only gets a 5 place penalty when he has used more than his number of alloted engines whereas Hamilton starts at the back of the grid .
I also don't understand why Lewis wasted tyres unless it was to give Russell a tow in qualifying .

I see that Gasly is asking where he is supposed to be on the grid ! :wacko:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It is flawed but what's the alternative, it's also open to abuse which I suspect RB are doing this weekend with Verstappen, they took a new unit at Spa as they knew they had the speed to get through, they are doing the same this weekend, they then have 2 'fresher' engines to get to the end of the year. Mercedes did similar at Spa but Hamilton stuffed by hitting Alonso.

It's all about the cost cap, which it you don't the big 3 would just run a new engine in each car every race weekend, or as they did in the past even having special qualifying engines that would be swapped overnight although now with the Parc fermé they might not be able to do it.

You could add seconds to their start times a bit like @Reynard is suggesting but have them on the grid with their own individual starter, you're wanting to penalise the manufacturer not the driver, you could take points off them in the manufactures championship, but like now if it was 10 points for an engine, RB may decide they could afford to lose 10 points if they could influence the win.

Taking fresh engines tactically has been happening since the engine restrictions came in , although I did half expect a change after how many fresh powertrains towards the end of last season.

Also engines are not included in the cost cap , for now at least.

ETA I think engines aren't included due to them not being developed by the teams directly.

D

Deleted member 26715

Brundell has just commented on a friend of his has suggested that the grid stays as it is & that the manufacturers should lose points based on a percentage depending where they are in the standing, so of like the idea but not sure exactly who it would work

Top Bottom