Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quite an exciting last 3 laps.

My favourite moment was the exchange between Mad Max and the pit-lane on the last lap. He's in 2nd place by about 20seconds, and has (presumably) just found out that Hamilton is going v e r y s l o w l y ...

Max: Can we win the race??
Pit: We can if you get on with it.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Rain always sorts the men from the boys.

Hamilton was 1.2 seconds clear of everyone in qualifying.

Like him or loath him he’s clearly head and shoulders above other current drivers. I would have loved to have seen Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton in a wet GP.
His CAR is head and shoulders above the rest. There was a 1 second gap from the Mercs to Verstappen and the rest of the top 10 were covered by about 1 second. At the moment the only realistic challenger to Hamilton is Bottas. Does this make Bottas the second best driver on the grid? I say no.

If they haven't seen it they really shouldn't be reading this thread yet. If we can't talk about a race until everybody has watched it, what's the point of the thread? People who haven't seen it can join in later can't they?
Well ... yes and no. The poster broke a general etiquette; failing to post in Spoiler tags (or similar). And in a thread that is about many things, not just the latest GP.
(so i might think my post about Damon Hill has been replied to, so I click-thru ... bingo!)
The post was barely an hour after the race I think? So bit of a grey area, time-wise, too.

Nevertheless, better to post a spoiler post, than start a thread with the result in the title! Social media *seems* to have left that trick behind for a few years now ... <crosses fingers> ...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Mmmmmmm, I'm really digging Dan Cammish's new helmet design... :wub:

dan_2020_helmet.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
His CAR is head and shoulders above the rest. There was a 1 second gap from the Mercs to Verstappen and the rest of the top 10 were covered by about 1 second. At the moment the only realistic challenger to Hamilton is Bottas. Does this make Bottas the second best driver on the grid? I say no.
Max is clearly the second best driver. But how often does the no 1 and 2 drive for the same team?
maybe Rosberg when he beat Ham?

D

Deleted member 26715

Max is clearly the second best driver. But how often does the no 1 and 2 drive for the same team?
Not sure it's a clear cut as that, LeClerc, Russell, Ricciardo, Norris, I personally think would push Hamilton harder, which is why they are not in the 2nd seat.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru

Nico really only won his championship because of Lewis' engine failure in Sepang, where Lewis was well on target to win that race.

Bottas is a good enough driver, he has to be in order to keep Lewis honest. In another era (or if Lewis wasn't there) he'd be considered one of the best, but the bottom line is that Lewis is a cut above the others. Plus it's not just about race weekend performance, it's also things like testing, simulator work, rapport with the technical staff...

Kempstonian

Well until we can put all the drivers in the same car and compare them, we'll never know who is the best driver will we? And that's never going to happen.

Kempstonian

Modern F1 driver instructions: "Sit in the car, steer it and try not to spin or hit anyone else. We'll do everything else"

D

Deleted member 26715

Modern F1 driver instructions: "Sit in the car, steer it and try not to spin or hit anyone else. We'll do everything else"
Bit disingenuous if that was the case then the cars would line up 2x2 & come home 2x2 which they don't so the driver must have some input.

Kempstonian

Bit disingenuous if that was the case then the cars would line up 2x2 & come home 2x2 which they don't so the driver must have some input.
Yeah, they steer and try not to have accidents. The little voice on the radio tells them when to come in, when to adjust settings, when to watch tyre wear, when to stay off the kerbs, when to speed up, when they can take it easy for a bit and where they are in relation to their opponents.

Compare what they do to what drivers in the Jim Clark era used to have to manage.

Top Bottom