Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Except it hasn't merely a mistake. It was a deliberate attempt at cheating, that was quickly uncovered and known about my multiple parties in authority, who then conspired to cover it up for "the good of the sport."

Certain comments are now on record, some have since been retracted (a bit late once they're in the public domain) and others with now nothing to lose are standing by them.

Evidentially speaking there's enough for a trial. Whether there's enough to find in Massa's favour is another matter entirely. Hell, there's a strong argument for a criminal case of fraud (the acts of deception and pecuniary advantage are there), although that wouldn't be straightforward across multiple jurisdictions.

To what end though? Does he just want financial compensation for losses as a consequence of not being world champion or does he want the championship? I can see him getting some money but not the records changed.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think he wants the money. The crux of his beef, he says (but who really knows) is the loss of commercial opportunities as a result of being deprived of the championship.

Jody

Stubborn git
To what end though? Does he just want financial compensation for losses as a consequence of not being world champion or does he want the championship? I can see him getting some money but not the records changed.

Apparently $82 million and the WDC title

figbat

Slippery scientist
Apparently $82 million and the WDC title

I have some sympathy regarding the money. Who knows what opportunities would have opened up to a reigning or former F1 WDC? However there's no way the WDC can be re-awarded. The teams and drivers ran the season based on how they saw the championship at the time. If Massa had had justice within the season and points had been redistributed then teams may have made different strategic decisions based on the alternative driver and team rankings and who knows what the outcome would have been? Lewis may still have won it. Felipe may have died in a fiery crash. We can't just make one change and assume the rest of it would have played out the same.

Besides, if we're revisiting one murky decision from the past then pretty much every season will need to be revisited, with plenty of shenanigans going on that were less public but equally impactful.

Would Lewis still be going to Ferrari with an 8th title in his pocket? Would he have gone on to 9 or 10? Would RBR have come on so strong or would key staff have jumped ship to Merc? The die are cast.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Adrian Newey is again at the front of cost cap breaches for Red Bull, if he were to remain at the F1 team.

Also linked to a possible move to Ferrari, along with Hamilton.

Drago

Legendary Member
The salaries of the three highest paid team members (excluding drivers, that come under their own rules) are excluded from the cost cap anyway. So that's Red Bull Spice and Newey, plus one more, covered anyway.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The Adrian Newey is again at the front of cost cap breaches for Red Bull, if he were to remain at the F1 team.

Also linked to a possible move to Ferrari, along with Hamilton.

Only by those who have ignored 30 odd of Newey refusing to join Ferrari or moving to Italy.

Drago

Legendary Member
I hear the Christian Horner personally drives a dump truck full of banknotes up to Newey's house before the start of every season, and has even sold his soul to the devil to get him to stay. That being the case, Newey wont leave for 21 years, and Horner should disappear in a scream and puff of smoke next year.

AndyRM

XOXO
When you see the amount of spray from the tyres it gives you an idea of what the drivers have to cope with during a wet race. Visibility must be close to zero.

I've quite enjoyed the in car footage which seems to have become more popular in recent seasons. Takes some nerve flinging yourself around a track at that speed basically blind.

I also watched a Formula E race fairly recently which was half in and half outdoors. It was chucking it down outside and inside looked like a warehouse rave. That must have been interesting to say the least!

Top Bottom