Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The internet says the tyres can displace over 80 litres of water per second.
That’s a bath of water every second.
I’m not sure I believe that.

Thinking out loud here: let’s say the car is travelling at 180mph, that’s roughly 270 feet per second.

The front and rear axles probably displace different amounts, given that the front moves a lot out of the way before the rear reaches the same point.

80L of water is an average of 20L per tyre and, on a track where they’re needing to use full wets, so maybe 2-4mm of water, I can imagine that a 270-foot stretch of that track, one tyre wide, would easily carry 40L of water to shift.

classic33

Leg End Member
From the manufacturer, Pirelli.
"At 300kph, a single intermediate tyre can disperse around 35 to 40 litres of water per second. That means that a Formula 1 car at full speed on the straight can shift around 150 litres of water per second running on the intermediate. If it's on the full wet, that figure can be doubled. An astonishing amount of water."
https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-w...e-from-slick-to-wet-tyres-in-formula-1-52943/

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Thinking out loud here: let’s say the car is travelling at 180mph, that’s roughly 270 feet per second.

The front and rear axles probably displace different amounts, given that the front moves a lot out of the way before the rear reaches the same point.

80L of water is an average of 20L per tyre and, on a track where they’re needing to use full wets, so maybe 2-4mm of water, I can imagine that a 270-foot stretch of that track, one tyre wide, would easily carry 40L of water to shift.

Which explains nicely why no one can see a see a thing in the spray

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I also watched a Formula E race fairly recently which was half in and half outdoors. It was chucking it down outside and inside looked like a warehouse rave. That must have been interesting to say the least!

That'll have been the UK round which is held in and around the eXcel in London's docklands - the only indoor-outdoor race circuit in use.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
missus lupus has bared her canine teeth and bitten the FIA in the ass while benny the ahrab has got the green flag and been declared innocent . There is also more horner just around the corner . There will be more drama off track in Melbourne this weekend , jeez , WTF ? it gets crazier n crazier

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
There will be more drama off track in Melbourne this weekend , jeez , WTF ? it gets crazier n crazier

I thought this weekends race was from Australia not Derbyshire 😀

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
avy2oxZ_700b.jpg

Never knew that

Top Bottom