Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I said " ON THE LAST LAP " to switch places back again . That compromises nobody's race . Piastri had 6 secs to spare over 5th place car on the last lap and Norris 11 secs over him. It was Piastri's home race FFS ! It would have been a magnanimous gesture but i'll quote myself again "they are all avaricious little over paid buggers for the main part " these days . Who really gives a fiddlers f**k about a third place ? . Second is the first loser and you could see that sentiment all over Leclerc's face, but he was gracious enough to pay compliment to Seinz and admit he did a better job all weekend than himself . A bigger man would have let Piastri slip past but all Norris 's beady little eyes could see was to get his grubby little paws a 14th podium .

This has to be a wind up ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The race finished under a safety car yellow flag so no passing would be allowed anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
That was bad luck for Wuthell, but Moanilton's race was tragic. That eejut Woto Tolff should spend less time trying to wind up Red Bull Spice (who doesn't appear to be biting anyway) with quips about wanting to sign Verstappen, and more time trying to win races. Its only the fact that he's a major team shareholder that's saving him from being sacked.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I said " ON THE LAST LAP " to switch places back again . That compromises nobody's race . Piastri had 6 secs to spare over 5th place car on the last lap and Norris 11 secs over him. It was Piastri's home race FFS ! It would have been a magnanimous gesture but i'll quote myself again "they are all avaricious little over paid buggers for the main part " these days . Who really gives a fiddlers f**k about a third place ? . Second is the first loser and you could see that sentiment all over Leclerc's face, but he was gracious enough to pay compliment to Seinz and admit he did a better job all weekend than himself . A bigger man would have let Piastri slip past but all Norris 's beady little eyes could see was to get his grubby little paws a 14th podium .

Lando was ten seconds up the road. Motor racing has always been a team game anyway, and swapping the drivers back round would have done nothing at all for the team. Prize money is paid for constructors points.

The race finished under a safety car yellow flag so no passing would be allowed anyway.

And this ^^^ @rustybolts

I suggest you read up on the basic rules and regs.

icowden

Veteran
That was bad luck for Wuthell, but Moanilton's race was tragic. That eejut Woto Tolff should spend less time trying to wind up Red Bull Spice (who doesn't appear to be biting anyway) with quips about wanting to sign Verstappen, and more time trying to win races. Its only the fact that he's a major team shareholder that's saving him from being sacked.
At least their cars got to the end of the race... (well nearly in Russell's case - but not a fault of Mercedes)

icowden

Veteran
Hamilton retired on lap 17, didn't he?

I sit corrected. I didn't get up at 4am to watch the race. I thought he made it to the end. So unusually - failures for both Red Bull and Mercedes. The biggest shame is that we didn't get a race between Red Bull and the Ferraris. We may not have done anyway, but the conjecture seemed to be that it might actually have been a race for once...

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Has he, when were they, as that rather flies in the face of his reputation as a very fair racer.

“This is what caught Russell out. We've seen Alonso do that before in Nurburgring in 2003 against David Coulthard, and he had exactly the same playbook. Except this time, it caused a huge amount of costly damage for a team who could well be on his wish list.”

In Brundle’s mind, there is no doubt that Alonso’s actions were calculated.

“Fernando's defensive position is, while quoting other epic and clean battles he's had over the decades, that changing racing line or sacrificing entry speed for a better exit is part of the art of motorsport, and that in fact it was the nature of the gravel trap run-off area which caused Russell's crash,” he added.

Wilberforce

I was so pleased Carlos won, more because b***dy Max didn't.

My first post in the motorsports area and I'm involved in rallying on tarmac & forest stuff, but on the officials side. Stage rallying is way too fast for me :laugh: so I compete in navigation rallies.

I also help provide results services on various events. I'm not sure which is the more stressful, competing or results.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
There are lots of others, you indicated?

Here is the stewards’ decision on the McLaren qualifying controversy in full.

The stewards rejected key parts of Fernando Alonso and McLaren’s testimony over whether the Spanish driver deliberately held up team mate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying for tomorrow’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

Alonso has been demoted from first on the grid to sixth, and although he and Lewis Hamilton will be able to score points tomorrow, they won’t count towards McLaren’s tally in the constructors’ championship.

During the final minutes of qualifying, the car driven by Fernando Alonso remained in its pit stop position at the completion of his pit stop notwithstanding the fact that his team-mate Lewis Hamilton was waiting immediately behind him to commence his own pit stop. The delay prevented Hamilton from being able to complete his final flying lap of Qualifying.

Crashgate

Falling out with McLaren management , demanding McLaren under fuel Hamilton's car

Falling out later with Ferrari management,

undermining and intimidating team mates ( Senna was a master at this also as was Prost )

Under pressure from a resurgent Michael Schumacher who had won the previous three races in a row, Alonso arrived at the Hungaroring with his championship lead under threat and a seven-time world champion right behind him carrying some serious momentum. Then in practice, Alonso had one of his hot laps spoiled by Robert Doornbos who was carrying out Friday tester duties in his Red Bull. Rather than doing what any sensible racing driver would’ve done – remembering that it was only practice, maybe waving his hand at Doornbos in annoyance and then carrying on – Alonso decided to weave at Doornbos after passing him, before deliberately blocking him at the apex of the following corner. It was a silly, childish and, above all, dangerous thing for any driver to do – let alone a world champion. As a punishment, two seconds were added to each of Alonso’s fastest times for each qualifying session. It was this incident, the first of what would be many, that caused made me re-evaluate my opinion of Alonso the driver.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

The stewards rejected key parts of Fernando Alonso and McLaren’s testimony over whether the Spanish driver deliberately held up team mate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying for tomorrow’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

Alonso has been demoted from first on the grid to sixth, and although he and Lewis Hamilton will be able to score points tomorrow, they won’t count towards McLaren’s tally in the constructors’ championship.

Crashgate

Falling out with McLaren management , demanding McLaren under fuel Hamilton's car

undermining and intimidating team mates ( Senna was a master at this also as was Prost )

Under pressure from a resurgent Michael Schumacher who had won the previous three races in a row, Alonso arrived at the Hungaroring with his championship lead under threat and a seven-time world champion right behind him carrying some serious momentum. Then in practice, Alonso had one of his hot laps spoiled by Robert Doornbos who was carrying out Friday tester duties in his Red Bull. Rather than doing what any sensible racing driver would’ve done – remembering that it was only practice, maybe waving his hand at Doornbos in annoyance and then carrying on – Alonso decided to weave at Doornbos after passing him, before deliberately blocking him at the apex of the following corner. It was a silly, childish and, above all, dangerous thing for any driver to do – let alone a world champion. As a punishment, two seconds were added to each of Alonso’s fastest times for each qualifying session. It was this incident, the first of what would be many, that caused made me re-evaluate my opinion of Alonso the driver.

You said that there were lots of examples of the incident last weekend: "has done lots of moves like this before"

I'm not seeing it so far?

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Crashgate

You had to go that far back to find something that you appear to think supports your point?

It's the Piranha Club out there and if you're not at least as ruthless as the others you won't have even got to F1.

Top Bottom