Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have witnessed some great racing battles and skill over the years but I think the greatest racing I have ever seen ( on TV anyway ) was the Moto GP race this evening from the Circuit of the Americas In Austin . Amazing from beginning to end . Looking forward to WSB and TT also to see high quality racing where the predicted outcome isn't a foregone conclusion .
World Superbikes, 2002, Imola. Best race ever. Colin Edwards vs Troy Bayliss, last race of the season, Colin needed to come 2nd to win the championship but they battled hammer and tongs for the race win. Worth finding to watch if you haven’t seen it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would contend the closing laps at Catalunya 2009, the battle between Rossi and Lorenzo on identical bikes is probably the most electrifying racing I've ever seen. Lorenzo put up a masterful fight, but Rossi was doing things with the bike that defied all established racing wisdom with his lines and braking.

figbat

Slippery scientist

Drago

Legendary Member
Ferrari ran Marlboro colours long after actual tobacco advertising itself was banned in many status. It might nit have said "Marlboro", but everyone desperate for a smerky tab knew exactly what the white wing plane on the red car signified.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Not to mention the West McLarens that became "Kimi" and "David" at tobacco-unfriendly circuits.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
One of the ways that helps identify late 1980s / early 1990s British F3 photos is by the various cigarette liveries. Meetings that were televised (highlights mostly), all the logos were altered / blanked etc, whereas at the meetings that weren't televised, you got the full-blown liveries. The same applied to sponsors' patches on drivers' overalls and helmets.

FYI, West Surrey Racing were sponsored by Marlboro and Eddie Jordan Racing and Paul Stewart Racing by Camel.

figbat

Slippery scientist
So, Lance is still a petulant wannabe and much as I want to like him for his ‘up yours’ attitude, Kevin is still a liability. Ocon not much better than an amateur karter with his weaving. Lando was on one of his good days (which he seems to intersperse with terrible days, although not quite as much these days). However even forgetting about Max out front, it wasn’t really a classic. Danny still can’t catch a break, although sadly I don’t think he’ll have to for much longer. 10s for destroying a rival’s race (and car) is far too lenient for Lance, should be a carry-over grid drop at minimum, and a bunch of points on his licence.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Really, if fingers should be pointed, then they should be pointed in Alonso's direction, as it was his lock-up that triggered the concertina in the first place.

It's a bit rich for Ricciardo to throw a wobbly, given that he had the nose of his car under Oscar Piastri's gearbox at the time.

But I guess racing drivers don't adhere to the two second rule... :whistle:

Top Bottom