Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm fed up of F1 news bits only to find that most of it is just repeating what you already know and just a brief mention of what was in the main headline .

Tom B

Guru
I'm fed up of F1 news bits only to find that most of it is just repeating what you already know and just a brief mention of what was in the main headline .

That's sort of why I asked.

I think many of them are little more than a money spinning operation looking for an excuse to spin, or respin, re write a story, any story to send you a load of ads and generate revenue

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got a digital subscription with Autosport which was picked up for £20 for the year on one of their special deals - mainly because they at least cover some other areas of motorsport such as WEC, IMSA, some British club racing, etc. I do tend to ignore their "what do...", "who are..." and "how does..." type articles and just stick to the news.

icowden

Veteran
I've got a digital subscription with Autosport which was picked up for £20 for the year on one of their special deals - mainly because they at least cover some other areas of motorsport such as WEC, IMSA, some British club racing, etc. I do tend to ignore their "what do...", "who are..." and "how does..." type articles and just stick to the news.

Of course. GPFans is probably the worst with crap like:
Major Mercedes departure confirmed with STUNNING replacement touted
Lewis is leaving for Ferrari and no-one knows who will replace him, but Max got mentioned once. Old news pretending to be new headline.

Literally every "news" story is like this.

Personally I tend just to read the BBC F1 page and the F1.Com news. Occasionally Sky News.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
So... Anyway...

What F1 News sites do you guys read?

I've been a bit lost since Ceefax page 360 was turned off and Autosport added a paywall. (and I think Autosport has gone a bit to the dogs)

Autosport went to the dogs around 15 years ago, which is why I stopped buying it. And prior to that I'd been getting a copy every week since 1988, back when an issue was 85p and chewed up half of my week's pocket money...

Most decent internet sources are either a) behind a paywall or b) clickbait garbage. Motorsport.com is still pretty decent if all you want are the headlines. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend radio 5 Live's "Chequered Flag" podcast, and "The Hard Compound" on Facebook is an excellent source of general motorsport news and trivia. And I get my Formula E fix and any BTCC news directly from the series' respective websites.

Tom B

Guru
Autosport went to the dogs around 15 years ago, which is why I stopped buying it. And prior to that I'd been getting a copy every week since 1988, back when an issue was 85p and chewed up half of my week's pocket money...

About the same for me, except i think it was a £2-80 bite out of my £7 paper round money.

Most decent internet sources are either a) behind a paywall or b) clickbait garbage. Motorsport.com is still pretty decent if all you want are the headlines. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend radio 5 Live's "Chequered Flag" podcast, and "The Hard Compound" on Facebook is an excellent source of general motorsport news and trivia. And I get my Formula E fix and any BTCC news directly from the series' respective websites.
Motorsport.com is one i have found myself floating towards

Jenkins

Legendary Member

About the same for me, except i think it was a £2-80 bite out of my £7 paper round money.

Motorsport.com is one i have found myself floating towards
Motorsport.com is (as you may know already) owned by the people behind Autosport and carries most of the same content, but looks to be aimed more at the international aiudience and with more articles that can be read free of charge without having toi register/subscribe.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
poor-logi-bear-v0-45fg7lxwsfsc1.jpg

At first I laughed, then I wondered what this chump was doing in F1. The obvious answer is "rich daddy" and wow - not half. Harry Sargeant III is worth about £3bn, selling fuel to the American military amongst other things. He's also a Trump supporter.

“Sargeant met with Trump at Mar-A-Lago and was involved in Ukraine business affairs with Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, two Soviet born businessmen who worked with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani on back channel efforts to tarnish former Vice President Joe Biden.”

So now I'll watch and laugh as this spoiled little rich kid is humiliated again and again.

Jody

Stubborn git
So now I'll watch and laugh as this spoiled little rich kid is humiliated again and again.

I've never looked into the background on Logan but thought it was odd last year when Williams were saying his seat was safe for basically just being able to drive a car. Not even perform prticularly well but just drive it.

It seems his money is maybe worth more than a small points haul

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
As has always been the case in motorsports. When you delve deeper, a good number of drivers come from families that were very financially secure. Like Piers Courage (Courage brewery), Peter Revson (Revlon cosmetics), Paolo Barilla (Barilla Pasta), then of course you have the Rodriguez brothers Pedro & Riccardo, Prince Bira, Betty Carstairs etc.

Although the ones I've mentioned are decidedly more capable than Logan Sargent.

Sadly though, there is also an element of motor racing where rich fathers live their fantasies through their sons - there was one Italian chap racing in F3000 in the late 1980s who was bankrolled by his father and forced to go racing, otherwise he would lose part of his inheritance. So yeah, there's all sorts of weird that goes on.

There are genuinely very few drivers that come from humble backgrounds.

icowden

Veteran
That was dull. Even Red Bull sounded bored at the finish.
I can very much imagine F1's viewership decreasing significantly this season. My father in law and I usually watch every race. I didn't bother, he watched for about 5 laps then gave up to watch something more interesting. Notable as well that the Drivers were reporting that Australia was basically a race that revolved around tyre management again with no real prospect of pushing the cars and actually racing.

Top Bottom