Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Alonso asked about rumours linking him to MB for 2025, responds that it is an unattractive option as they're scoring further back that he is managing at AM.

What he is actually saying is "Toto is going to have to offer a lot more money if he wants me over there."

Also rumours Lance Stroll has had enough and is considering binning F1 when his contract expires. That'll please the AM shareholders and sponsors, and post my even his Dad.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I can very much imagine F1's viewership decreasing significantly this season. My father in law and I usually watch every race. I didn't bother, he watched for about 5 laps then gave up to watch something more interesting. Notable as well that the Drivers were reporting that Australia was basically a race that revolved around tyre management again with no real prospect of pushing the cars and actually racing.

I did watch the race and besides the obvious winner it was an interesting race with multiple strategies and some great overtakes . Alonso gave another masterclass in defensive strategy and Russel showed once again how he's not to be trusted in close battles.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Alonso asked about rumours linking him to MB for 2025, responds that it is an unattractive option as they're scoring further back that he is managing at AM.

What he is actually saying is "Toto is going to have to offer a lot more money if he wants me over there."

Also rumours Lance Stroll has had enough and is considering binning F1 when his contract expires. That'll please the AM shareholders and sponsors, and post my even his Dad.

I'd love to see Sainz get Stroll's seat .

Tom B

Guru
I can very much imagine F1's viewership decreasing significantly this season. My father in law and I usually watch every race. I didn't bother, he watched for about 5 laps then gave up to watch something more interesting. Notable as well that the Drivers were reporting that Australia was basically a race that revolved around tyre management again with no real prospect of pushing the cars and actually racing.

I've said for 4 years that F1 is riding a bubble created by Netflix and DTS with fans more interested in the to a degree manufactured drama that DTS created. In the last few years the DTS Tail has been wagging the F1 dog. While the showbiz, glamour, fashionable socialite side of F1 has existed in recent years for whatever reason it's been front and central with the "insta/soshall" types pushing their various vacuous narratives to get a few clicks.

These DTS "fans" for me aren't interested in what the traditional Motorsport and F1 fans are interested and it's driven the traditionalists away as the F1 show has been driven away from it's traditional values towards the values and wants of these new fans. The arrival of Liberty has drawn the F1 show towards US values and models making the show more akin to US types of racing series again something that doesn't necessarily appeal to the traditional F1 fans.

F1 also has a lot of Middle Eastern money and influences which again is influencing the show. Historically F1 would never have contemplated moving quali to Friday (when everyone is at work) and races to Saturday to suit a promotors market.

Gimmicks like Sprint races and the constant suggestion of reverse grids are not helping and won't help viewing figures. I've forgotten quali was on a Friday on a few occasions and missed recording it etc.

From 1995 - 2021 I didn't miss a single F1 race, watching most live. However after 21 the missus upgraded our sky package and we lost the free access to SkyF1.
Sky don't seem to understand people have no interest in kickball and don't want the whole skysports package and the SkyF1 which I think is available as a standalone channel is too expensive. So I've been watching F1 for the last few years on C4 via the highlights. Recently it's felt a chore to watch, but I don't feel miss anything. I just wish they got the programme out quicker.

Indeed. Rumours are AM want him.

I'd love to see Sainz out perform LeClerc this season, and early signs are he may well end with more points, and then do the same next season with his new team. I think Fezza have made a serious error of judgement letting him go.

Well he didn't bin it off the track. I've always said that Lec is overrated, like Ric but in a different way.

LEC is as good as anyone over a single lap, but he screws up the races too often.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Just a few points of note @Tom B

The British GP, when at Silverstone, used to be held on a Saturday right up until the early 1980s. That was because the locals (Stowe, iirc) didn't want their church services disturbed by the noise.

Grand Prix / single seater racing, even before F1 became a "thing" has always been associated with the socialite strata of society. Don't forget that the slogan for Brooklands was "The Right Crowd and no Crowding" and that Monaco, since its first race, was always the place to see and be seen. Also, a lot of early racing drivers were aristocrats, namely because they had the money and the time on their hands to dabble in what was then, a fairly exclusive hobby.

And certainly since the mid 1960s, F1 has been dependent on money from various (and often) less savoury sources. OK, somewhat dependent on your viewpoint, but you start out with tobacco sponsorship in lieu of private patronage thanks to Colin Chapman, and even after overt tobacco advertising was banned, the big ones like Phillip Morris were still funnelling money in on the QT. Then you've got sponsors like Moneytron (remember them?) who generated funds with what was effectively a Ponzi Scheme. Oh, Essex Petroleum - which was all about oil futures was another one. And now it's all about Saudi and American money. But because the sport has become so expensive, people are willing to turn a blind eye somewhat.

To put this all into perspective, back in 1991, a full season of International F3000 (the then-equivalent of FIA F2) in a competitive car would have set you back a cool £750,000*. And it's only gotten far more spendy in the intervening three and a bit decades as technology has advanced.

* Racefest 1991 meeting programme, Brands Hatch, 29th & 30th June 1991

classic33

Leg End Member
Just a few points of note @Tom B

The British GP, when at Silverstone, used to be held on a Saturday right up until the early 1980s. That was because the locals (Stowe, iirc) didn't want their church services disturbed by the noise.

Grand Prix / single seater racing, even before F1 became a "thing" has always been associated with the socialite strata of society. Don't forget that the slogan for Brooklands was "The Right Crowd and no Crowding" and that Monaco, since its first race, was always the place to see and be seen. Also, a lot of early racing drivers were aristocrats, namely because they had the money and the time on their hands to dabble in what was then, a fairly exclusive hobby.

And certainly since the mid 1960s, F1 has been dependent on money from various (and often) less savoury sources. OK, somewhat dependent on your viewpoint, but you start out with tobacco sponsorship in lieu of private patronage thanks to Colin Chapman, and even after overt tobacco advertising was banned, the big ones like Phillip Morris were still funnelling money in on the QT. Then you've got sponsors like Moneytron (remember them?) who generated funds with what was effectively a Ponzi Scheme. Oh, Essex Petroleum - which was all about oil futures was another one. And now it's all about Saudi and American money. But because the sport has become so expensive, people are willing to turn a blind eye somewhat.

To put this all into perspective, back in 1991, a full season of International F3000 (the then-equivalent of FIA F2) in a competitive car would have set you back a cool £750,000*. And it's only gotten far more spendy in the intervening three and a bit decades as technology has advanced.

* Racefest 1991 meeting programme, Brands Hatch, 29th & 30th June 1991
There was a relative's of Osama Bin Laden sponsoring Williams for a while.
End plates on the rear wing, and later the end plates on the front wing.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
There was a relative's of Osama Bin Laden sponsoring Williams for a while.
End plates on the rear wing, and later the end plates on the front wing.

Goodness, I'd forgotten about that one!

Not in F1, but a championship-winning BTCC team was used as a front for a drug-smuggling ring.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Vic Lee (twice!) with a very cleverly adapted transporter if I remember correctly. I think HMRC as it was then retained the unit for training.

Yup, that's the one!

Were they any good on the track?

Won the championship with Will Hoy in 1991 and Tim Harvey in 1992.

After the team was liquidated, the assets were bought up by Ray Bellm and Steve Neal, and thus became Team Dynamics.

icowden

Veteran
F1 also has a lot of Middle Eastern money and influences which again is influencing the show. Historically F1 would never have contemplated moving quali to Friday (when everyone is at work) and races to Saturday to suit a promotors market.
They didn't? They moved things around because otherwise the Saudi Arabian GP would have started on Ramadan which would have been very problematic. Because of the statutory requirement for 6 days between GPs, the preceding GP was also moved. It was about Religion not markets.

Sky don't seem to understand people have no interest in kickball and don't want the whole skysports package and the SkyF1 which I think is available as a standalone channel is too expensive.
Agreed. Sky is probably responsible for more viewing piracy than any other broadcaster.

I just wish they got the programme out quicker.
I think this may be down to rules with Sky again.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
I have watched and been fascinated by F1 since 1961 when I was 10 years old. I have become more disillusioned with it as the money poured into it and it became a travelling circus as much as a sport. I have witnessed some great racing battles and skill over the years but I think the greatest racing I have ever seen ( on TV anyway ) was the Moto GP race this evening from the Circuit of the Americas In Austin . Amazing from beginning to end . Looking forward to WSB and TT also to see high quality racing where the predicted outcome isn't a foregone conclusion .

Top Bottom