Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Yeah careful folks, others won't see it until after 9:30 tonight, let's keep it general.
I mostly liked the bit with the cars.

I'm not sure he will be, if they bring somebody else in from the outside (Perez) they are effectively admitting their young drivers programme doesn't work, or they backed the wrong youngsters.
Well I think they backed the wrong driver when they swapped him with the driver who went to Toro Rosso. Driving a similar car to Vestapen you would expect him to be a bit closer to him in the races by now .

D

Deleted member 26715

Well I think they backed the wrong driver when they swapped him with the driver who went to Toro Rosso. Driving a similar car to Vestapen you would expect him to be a bit closer to him in the races by now .
I disagree, Gasly was completely overwhelmed with what was required of him, he could do the bit on the track which he has since proved, what he couldn't handle was the media & the spotlight, including always being compared to Verstappen. Once he was released from the limelight, reset himself he's shown how good a driver he is, but he's likely to crack again if the pressure was put on again, for his own sanity I hope they don't try to bring him back.

To my mind the biggest mistake they made was alienating Ricciardo, he is/was a driver who could push Verstappen, but they pinned all their tails on the one donkey, they openly were stating they were building the team around him as future world champion, what did they expect Ricciardo to do, he still has aspirations of doing it himself.

icowden

Veteran
Bet Toto is kicking himself for doing a 3 year deal with Williams for Russell

Depends how you look at it.
He has a seven time world champion as the lead driver, always delivering, and a steady wing man in Bottas making sure they get the constructors. I suspect Toto wanted to bring George in once it looked like Hamilton is approaching retirement, so that they continue to win. And based on George's form vs Bottas yesterday it looks like a good bet. The drives are already sorted out for next year, so I reckon George is looking at a 2023 move to Merc.

D

Deleted member 26715

Depends how you look at it.
He has a seven time world champion as the lead driver, always delivering, and a steady wing man in Bottas making sure they get the constructors. I suspect Toto wanted to bring George in once it looked like Hamilton is approaching retirement, so that they continue to win. And based on George's form vs Bottas yesterday it looks like a good bet. The drives are already sorted out for next year, so I reckon George is looking at a 2023 move to Merc.
You could be right, it's better to have a 1-2 in some ways better than the Hamilton-Rosberg scenario of them both fighting for every point & letting Verstappen in by the back door. Although I disagree (unless a typo) that George is looking at 2023, I think it's 2022 as Hamilton will be hanging up his gloves at the end of next year when Toto also leaves.

D

Deleted member 26715

Isn't Williams about to get some serious money pumped into it though?
Not heard anything other than they have been taken over by a VC, so presumably they will gather more investment as they don't do it for the shoots & giggles they do it for the ROI.

icowden

Veteran
Although I disagree (unless a typo) that George is looking at 2023, I think it's 2022 as Hamilton will be hanging up his gloves at the end of next year when Toto also leaves.

That's a good point, although Hamilton has given no real indication that he wants to retire and could easily go on for another 5 years...

Top Bottom