Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
One thing that's clear about Seb, is that once he was in a less good car (and that includes his last couple of years at Red Bull), he was basically found out - namely that he's good, but not *that* good. IMHO the four world titles really do flatter him massively.

It's easy to be out in front in a really good car without competition from your team mate (for whatever reason), but in a less good car, a truly excellent driver can still pull the rabbits out of the hat as it were.

Sometimes a new environment gives a driver the mental boost he needs to get back to the right level of performance, but so far, with Seb, it's same old, same old... With all that whingeing and moaning, he's definitely channeling his inner Nigel Mansell. Hell, he even runs the same race number...

There was a tinge of sadness in the race for me; it's clear that "overtake" has now been forcibly converted to a noun, and our old noun friend "pass" has been retired, without even a mention in dispatches.
:sad:

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was pretty interesting, although I have the feeling it was somewhat hollow, since the mid-race ‘reset’ undid many earlier poor decisions and mistakes. Lewis’s recovery drive was pretty impressive though, given the opportunity he was gifted (by his team mate, ironically).

D

Deleted member 26715

A Williams overtaking a Mercedes even with DRS is impressive, although Bottas appears to have already gone to lunch this season already, i think Hamilton has broken him, he needs to go find a new challenge to restore his faith in himself

icowden

Veteran
Yeah. He did have to drive the thing, and keep a calm head; but a lot of things conspired to make that comeback feasible!

Not least that I think any other driver would have got out of the car once trapped in the gravel. To be able to get it out of there was frankly astonishing.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There were quite a few people driving out of the gravel. I think it being wet ironically offers more traction and less tendency to dig in and bog down.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a F1 car reverse that far though!

D

Deleted member 26715

I didn't think you would be allowed to reverse onto the track, I seem to remember somebody (Mansell?) reversing in the pit lane & getting a penalty

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I didn't think you would be allowed to reverse onto the track, I seem to remember somebody (Mansell?) reversing in the pit lane & getting a penalty

That's the one that sprung to mind for me! :laugh:

Portugal 1989. He missed his pit box on the tyre stop and reversed back down the pit lane rather than wait for his mechanics to come and pull him back. Mansell was black flagged for his pains.

The race that was almost won by Ivan Capelli in the Leyton House-sponsored March. (edited to say I had a brain fart - that was the '88 race)

N.B. The rules in the pit lane are different to the rules out on track.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

That's the one that sprung to mind for me! :laugh:

Portugal 1989. He missed his pit box on the tyre stop and reversed back down the pit lane rather than wait for his mechanics to come and pull him back. Mansell was black flagged for his pains.

The race that was almost won by Ivan Capelli in the Leyton House-sponsored March.

N.B. The rules in the pit lane are different to the rules out on track.
Just seems illogical to allow reversing on track, but I suppose certain tracks you would not have any other option to get back on it.

icowden

Veteran
There were quite a few people driving out of the gravel. I think it being wet ironically offers more traction and less tendency to dig in and bog down.

There were people coming out with momentum or the ability to continue forward, but Lewis was the only car stopped on the gravel, on slicks, in what's usually a game over position. The control to get the car to reverse without spinning, and then to take a full reverse to the right part of the track to let him continue forwards without getting stuck was impressive.

Top Bottom