Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Wonder if he was deploying the electrics to stop the wheels spinning rather than the primary engine which is very torquey with the turbo

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Just seems illogical to allow reversing on track, but I suppose certain tracks you would not have any other option to get back on it.

They have to be fitted with a reverse gear to allow the marshals to be able to remove cars. And for drivers to be able to extract themselves from where running out of talent has left them without the marshals' assistance. Because as soon as the marshals touch the car, that's game over, as drivers are not allowed outside assistance to get going again.

I'm not entirely au fait with the current iteration of the F1 sporting regulations, but unless reversing a car puts others into a dangerous situation, then it's perfectly fine.

D

Deleted member 26715

They have to be fitted with a reverse gear to allow the marshals to be able to remove cars. And for drivers to be able to extract themselves from where running out of talent has left them without the marshals' assistance. Because as soon as the marshals touch the car, that's game over, as drivers are not allowed outside assistance to get going again.

I'm not entirely au fait with the current iteration of the F1 sporting regulations, but unless reversing a car puts others into a dangerous situation, then it's perfectly fine.
Again seem to remember a situation with a M Schmaucher & the Red Rule book, he spun into gravel, or was against the barrier or something like that & the marshals pushed him back, but because it was deemed he was in a dangerous position he got away with it.

The other time I'm sure I've seen them get assistance was when Lowes Hairpin at Monaco became a car park in one race

D

Deleted member 26715

But going back to Bottas & Russel, my initial thought was Bottas deliberately closed the gap, but Anthony Davidson in skysport/f1 shows he was just taking the normal dry line which did close the gap, but at nearly 200mph Russell probably seemed like he was him, but I do take objections to Wolff's suggestion that maybe Russell ought to think of his future next years before overtaking a Mercedes.

icowden

Veteran
I do take objections to Wolff's suggestion that maybe Russell ought to think of his future next years before overtaking a Mercedes.

Yes, I thought that was an odd comment. Russell may be a Mercedes driver, but he is driving a Williams and shouldn't be playing "favourites". He went for a legit overtake, misjudged the space that would be left because of the dry line and clipped the grass. A racing error. Luckily safety has improved so much that both drivers were ok.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, I thought that was an odd comment. Russell may be a Mercedes driver, but he is driving a Williams and shouldn't be playing "favourites". He went for a legit overtake, misjudged the space that would be left because of the dry line and clipped the grass. A racing error. Luckily safety has improved so much that both drivers were ok.
Instead of threatening Russell with driving Formula Renault next year, he should be threatening Bottas with driving a Williams this year.

But going back to Bottas & Russel, my initial thought was Bottas deliberately closed the gap, but Anthony Davidson in skysport/f1 shows he was just taking the normal dry line which did close the gap, but at nearly 200mph Russell probably seemed like he was him
If Bottas had already moved left off the racing line to defend the corner, then the current rules explicitly forbid moving back onto the "normal" line to gain advantage, especially if this risks an accident. Drivers often still do this, but a blind eye is usually turned if no damage results.

(in addition he should be aware that closing down another driver at high speed risks triggering a collision, which is not going to be good for either of them. It's then irrelevant that on a good day Russell could/would have avoided the collision.)

D

Deleted member 26715

If Bottas had already moved left off the racing line to defend the corner, then the current rules explicitly forbid moving back onto the "normal" line to gain advantage, especially if this risks an accident. Drivers often still do this, but a blind eye is usually turned if no damage results.

(in addition he should be aware that closing down another driver at high speed risks triggering a collision, which is not going to be good for either of them. It's then irrelevant that on a good day Russell could/would have avoided the collision.)
No if you watch the clip you will see that Bottas does not move, all he does is follow the racing/drying line which as it's a left hander coming up drifts him to the right, which in turn narrows the gap left for Russell, going left to give Russell more space would put Bottas's left wheels onto the wet, which is something he would not want to do, he did at the last second as he was forced to give Russell more space, but by which time it was too late. Because he (Bottas) was following the racing/drying line to looked to Russell like he was being squeezed hence why he went right which was his error, he should have just held his nerve but that is easy to say as I wasn't there doing 200mph into a narrowing pinch point.

No if you watch the clip you will see that Bottas does not move
If he did not change from the racing line to defend the corner, then I accept your point. I've only seen the last few seconds* of the manuevre, and heard more than one commentator say that Bottas was defending the corner (not that their word is gospel!!! )

*Edit: what it really needs is overhead shot of the whole preceeding section - which I haven't found. And I'd rather take your word than spend all morning looking :P

Last edited:
Top Bottom