Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
One of the greatest spectacles of F1 cars is the noise...:ohmy: unless you've heard that scream first hand, you cannot possibly imagine , its mind blowing. :wacko::becool:

Actually, the most mind-blowing noise I ever came across on a racing car was the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 that Bobby Verdon-Roe used to race in the British GT championship.

I've stood next to that when it's been fired up in the paddock, and that nigh turns your bones (and most of the rest of you) to jelly.

And I've experienced everything from F1 to FVee and just about all other series in between in my time as a snappy.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I've even immortalized cars at the Superprix in paint... Paul Warwick, Leyton House LH90B, on the exit of Halfords Corner...

IMG_5196_small3.jpg

1990 was the last year the Superprix was held, IIRC...

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes it was quite good to watch, many questions remaining though, which we'll not talk about until others have seen it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good race, one of the best I've seen for some time tbf.
I dont enjoy C4s presentation at all, it's all a bit immature IMO, but there was a lot happening where it matters, nice to see Aston Martin have a solid performance, McLaren did very well, Tsonoda must be ecstatic with his result.

Perez is absolutely one to watch based on today's race, the result might have been quite different if his car had been reliable in the beginning.

We need a lot more like that (well I do anyway)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I missed the parade lap, couldn't get the laptop to work, so unsure what actually happened to Perez, but I think they may have in him what they lacked in the others, not sure he will be fighting with Max, but he will be taking points of Mercedes by beating Bottas, which is important for the team world championships. Vettel was unimpressive, Alonso outperformed the car, but was it a political retirement? Just a same that although Red Bull have closed the gap to Mercedes, the others don't appear to have closed on them both.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Perez’s car just cut out on the formation lap, total power failure. He managed to reboot it though.

icowden

Veteran
Perez is absolutely one to watch based on today's race, the result might have been quite different if his car had been reliable in the beginning.
Not only that but the whole Mercedes / Red Bull fight might have played out differently with Red Bull being able to use Perez to mix it up.
It was great to see the grid mixing up though with some of the lower rank teams bringing it in qually, and loads of overtakes during the race.
Superb race on what is usually a really boring track.

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, such as what planet is Vettel on?!
Yeah that's one of them, TBH if he's had a really bad accident at some point like Martin Brundle did, he openly admits after Melbourne his heart was no longer in it. What has changed in Vettel's life, but he's certainly lost something currently, surely he doesn't need to the money?

icowden

Veteran
Yeah that's one of them, TBH if he's had a really bad accident at some point like Martin Brundle did, he openly admits after Melbourne his heart was no longer in it. What has changed in Vettel's life, but he's certainly lost something currently, surely he doesn't need to the money?
I'm baffled as to why he hasn't just retired. He doesn't seem to have any winning capability any more. It was nice seeing George Russell being able to get his Williams off the back row for once.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The same with Kimi - trundling around in the mid-to-rear pack, occasionally getting feisty with former team mates but more than often being notable for being overtaken by someone half his age.

Vettel - I'll reserve judgement on the car and team until they have a couple of races under their belts, and maybe with the 2022 regs in place. However he is still blaming everyone but himself for blunders and mistakes. He had a pop at Ocon for moving across on him, when Ocon held a perfectly straight line, on the racing line, and Seb swerved in behind him and unsurprisingly lost downforce on his front wing and locked up into him. He has subsequently admitted it was "probably my mistake" but that incident plus the penalty from qualifying for ignoring double waved yellows puts him on 5 penalty points from just one race meeting. He has a history of totting up so will need to play nicely for the next 22 races.

D

Deleted member 1258

The same with Kimi - trundling around in the mid-to-rear pack, occasionally getting feisty with former team mates but more than often being notable for being overtaken by someone half his age.

Vettel - I'll reserve judgement on the car and team until they have a couple of races under their belts, and maybe with the 2022 regs in place. However he is still blaming everyone but himself for blunders and mistakes. He had a pop at Ocon for moving across on him, when Ocon held a perfectly straight line, on the racing line, and Seb swerved in behind him and unsurprisingly lost downforce on his front wing and locked up into him. He has subsequently admitted it was "probably my mistake" but that incident plus the penalty from qualifying for ignoring double waved yellows puts him on 5 penalty points from just one race meeting. He has a history of totting up so will need to play nicely for the next 22 races.

I don't understand why Vettel didn't just retire at the end of last season, he seems to have lost the plot totally lately, I think Kimi is still driving just because he enjoys it, it's a shame they are taking up seats that new up and coming drivers could take.

Top Bottom