Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I could accept that if it was a junior driver coming through the ranks but to feck a seasoned driver like Checo's head up that quickly would take some doing.

If that's what's happening then there is a strong case to get rid of the DR if they want both titles, rather than keep firing No2 driver.

It's easier than you think. Drivers rely on confidence. The easiest way to dent that is to make them question themselves and their ability. It's a vicious circle, really. Once you get into that loop, it's hard to get out of it.

Jody

Stubborn git
It's easier than you think. Drivers rely on confidence. The easiest way to dent that is to make them question themselves and their ability. It's a vicious circle, really. Once you get into that loop, it's hard to get out of it.

Maybe get rid of the gas lighting Austrian then and the loop won't start. Support the drivers rather than destroy them

D

Deleted member 26715

Or you end up in a Mansell-Piquet or Prost-Senna situation...
Depends if you think that is a bad thing, Rosberg-Hamilton was the last incarnation when Rosberg actually decided to put his mind in gear.
I could accept that if it was a junior driver coming through the ranks but to feck a seasoned driver like Checo's head up that quickly would take some doing.
But you don't know what games Verstappen is playing, he clearly wants a No 2 driver, granted one that can support him, but no way does he want one that can beat him.

D

Deleted member 26715

Maybe get rid of the gas lighting Austrian then and the loop won't start. Support the drivers rather than destroy them
But what if he took all his money with him, No team :sad:

Jody

Stubborn git
But you don't know what games Verstappen is playing, he clearly wants a No 2 driver, granted one that can support him, but no way does he want one that can beat him.

Max will be playing games alright but I don't think he is the reason all the other drivers are failing.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Max will be playing games alright but I don't think he is the reason all the other drivers are failing.

The first rule of motorsport (for drivers) is to beat your team mate, because the driver in the garage next door and driving the same car as you is the enemy. And beating him (or her) includes playing mind games and bullying in order to get the edge.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru

Ayrton Senna was the master of getting a subservient #2 who wasn't fast enough to beat him; Johnny Cecotto, Johnny Dumfries, Satoru Nakajima, Gerhard Berger, Damon Hill... When he didn't (Prost and Warwick) he threw the toys out of the pram.

This type of driver is so used to being told how wonderful they are, that they don't want to be upstaged at any cost. They don't want to show weakness (being beaten by a team mate) because it reflects badly on them.

Jody

Stubborn git
And beating him (or her) includes playing mind games and bullying in order to get the edge.

There are plenty of drivers that don't need to resort to underhand tactics or mind games.

Alas, it's a reality of motorsport that a good number of the people involved are fairly unpleasant characters. They don't get to where they are by playing nice.

I'm not denying that. Just pointing out RB may be better off without Marko.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
There are plenty of drivers that don't need to resort to underhand tactics or mind games.

There are some, yes. But on the whole, it's not what I've seen in my time involved with the sport - mind games come as part of the territory. As I said upthread, the drivers on the grid are broadly of a very similar driving ability. Racing drivers are largely selfish people and will do whatever it takes to win / be better than their team mate etc.

You know how an original sized mini looks when compared to a current generation one? That's how an F1 car of, say, 20 years ago looks compared to a current one.
Then add in all the problems with aero for cars running close behind each other, and passing at Monaco is just about impossible.
I know it's "the jewel in the crown" of the F1 season, but if it were up to me it would be ditched immediately. And the cars would be altered to make them more skittish and with less aero. And shorter. And narrower. And all pit to car communication would be banned, except for safety messages from organisers. And the cars would have proper, noisy engines. Oh, and no monitoring of the cars vital stats during the race, so multiple race simulations can be played out by computer to decide race strategy. And finally, proper gravel traps on the outside of corners, right up to the edge of the tarmac, so cars putting wheels off the course risk much more than just having their lap time taken away.

Rant over. Thank you.

Cerdic

The problem of boring, processional races at Monaco is not new, though. People have been complaining about it since the 1980s, if not longer. Wasn't it Senna who said that driving an F1 car around Monaco is like trying to fly a helicopter round your living room? That's why people watch this particular race!

Of course, there have been interesting Monaco GPs. But it usually involves crashes and safety cars. Sadly this year was not one of them...

It has pros-and cons: I'd rather watch a boring procession round Monaco than round Hungary.
But I wouldn't want any more "Monacos" on the calendar; part of the attraction is the uniqueness.

Clearly the series could use more overtaking at *every* race, and car design rules seem to have a big part to play. (Imagine if we didn't have DRS??)

Top Bottom