Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
The vast majority of the grid are more or less of equal driving ability. The real difference happens in the drivers' heads and in the general team environment.

I think it's not necessarily about the ability but the style.

From Perez:
“I learned more about Max’s driving style and how the car has to be driven to extract the maximum from it,” said Perez.
“I think that was the biggest learning, I know what balance I need from the car throughout the weekend.

In other words the Red Bull is designed to suit the way that Max drives - not the skill with which he drives, but the way that he drives. The Mercedes favours Hamilton over Bottas because they will have slightly different driving styles - the way that Hamilton feels the car and makes the tyres last longer. Ricciardo's style is very different from Max, favouring late braking for example, which the RB may not be as easy to set up for.

The best drivers are those that can adapt their style to the car they are driving, or where the style is similar to the lead driver - hence Russell doing superbly well in the Mercedes suggests that he is either very adaptable or has a similar style to Lewis.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I think it's not necessarily about the ability but the style.

Which is why I said "more or less" :smile:

There is more than one way to skin a cat - or get a fast lap time, after all... (although I wouldn't want to try that with either of mine, I'll get shredded! :laugh: )

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The problem of boring, processional races at Monaco is not new, though. People have been complaining about it since the 1980s, if not longer. Wasn't it Senna who said that driving an F1 car around Monaco is like trying to fly a helicopter round your living room? That's why people watch this particular race!

Of course, there have been interesting Monaco GPs. But it usually involves crashes and safety cars. Sadly this year was not one of them...

Senna was never that eloquent. :laugh:

It was Nelson Piquet - and he said that driving around Monaco was like trying to ride a bicycle in your living room. ^_^

(Not that I'd ever want to try that in my teeny, tiny cottage...)

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It has pros-and cons: I'd rather watch a boring procession round Monaco than round Hungary.
But I wouldn't want any more "Monacos" on the calendar; part of the attraction is the uniqueness.

Clearly the series could use more overtaking at *every* race, and car design rules seem to have a big part to play. (Imagine if we didn't have DRS??)

I despise the Don't Race System and preferred when there were fewer passes but were , for the most part, more genuine.

I love the Monaco races despite it tending to be more processional as you see the pilots driving at their very best. But I do agree there should only be one like that .

D

Deleted member 1258

Interesting race at the somewhat psychedelic Paul Ricard today with Mercedes snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Made for an exciting race though (for once).

Mercedes out thought by Red Bull, they rolled the dice with the extra pit stop and it came off, when Max caught Lewis he had no tyres left and could only watch Max go past, all caused by higher than expected tyre wear, highly entertaining.

D

Deleted member 1258

carpiste

Guru
Well looking forward to this one. After the last race and all the shenanigans it`ll be an interesting start. Hamilton loves the rain so hopefully he can get to the first corner incident free and make progress without incident. Hope he keeps the boo boys quiet ;)

Top Bottom