Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Does it though? Do younger drivers watch Max and think "next time I'm on track I'll do that"? Perhaps they do but I simply don't know. I suspect each formula has its own approaches and guidelines on this so whilst they might watch and see Max getting away with it, they might also be thinking "no chance I could do that". Lower formulae often simply don't have the space to get away with it anyway - try that at Oulton Park or wherever any you'll be in the scenery in quick order.
I think that things do filter down, yes, especially to younger drivers. Maybe not to the specifics of 'I'll do that move', but to the level of acceptable defence of a corner - iyswim.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
If you want to see how the younger drivers race, may I direct you gentlemen to the Ginetta Juniors? Those lads can show the older guys a thing or two about good CLEAN hard racing.

Lando Norris is a graduate of Ginetta Juniors, btw.

Having seen the incident on the telly, I think the commentators on the radio made it sound worse than it actually was. It was "elbows out" driving that used to be par-for-course back in the day, although minus the jeopardy of the gravel trap or a grass run-off that would have been there a couple of decades ago. It was nowhere in the same league as what Senna did to Prost, or what Schumacher did to various others in both Sportscars and F1.

Racing drivers are the sort of people who, give them an inch, they'll take a mile. You *would* have expected a penalty for that incident, if only because Max got the advantage from running off the road (keeping the lead) as that is the precedent that the rules have set, but tbh, I'm actually glad there wasn't a penalty as no one can whine that it decided the race.

P.S. I don't particularly like Cool-thud either, although that stems from his junior formulae days when he didn't get on terribly well with an ex of mine...

figbat

Slippery scientist
There is also the cost factor. The F1 drivers know that they can hand back a steaming pile of wreckage and in a few hours have a new car to drive. When you are paying for it yourself, or at least held very accountable for damage, plus potentially putting yourself out of a race meeting through a small contact, you take a bit more care.

Alex321

Veteran
You're still trolling . You made that assertion so you need to have proof before you post because that is how life works.
You (in this case he) can't prove a negative which is what you are demanding he do, but a single positive would disprove it.

Anyway this kind of block overtake happens most races but this time Hamilton was on the receiving end so it's important. If it was Schumacher jr and Latifi no one would have posted today.

If Hamilton had done the same, you can be sure he WOULD have been penalised. Blocking by drifting outwards is somewhat commonplace agreed - but to the extent of the blocking car leaving the track themselves - that is taking it too far.

D

Deleted member 1258

What the hell's a Tranbant, anyway? :laugh:

One of these.

1636988356417.png

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
There is also the cost factor. The F1 drivers know that they can hand back a steaming pile of wreckage and in a few hours have a new car to drive. When you are paying for it yourself, or at least held very accountable for damage, plus potentially putting yourself out of a race meeting through a small contact, you take a bit more care.

It depends... How the damage is paid for is stipulated in the driver's contract, and is often, but not always, dependent on the money that they do - or don't - bring to the team. Some will be paying all damage costs out of their pockets, some won't be.

Unfortunately, we're not party to the minutiae of F1 drivers' contracts, but for those who don't have to pay for the damage, the teams have to pick up the tab - usually from their development budget, so it will bite the driver in the bum regardless. More of an issue now with the overall budget caps than in was back in the 80s and 90s with the big money tobacco sponsors.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It depends... How the damage is paid for is stipulated in the driver's contract, and is often, but not always, dependent on the money that they do - or don't - bring to the team. Some will be paying all damage costs out of their pockets, some won't be.

Unfortunately, we're not party to the minutiae of F1 drivers' contracts, but for those who don't have to pay for the damage, the teams have to pick up the tab - usually from their development budget, so it will bite the driver in the bum regardless. More of an issue now with the overall budget caps than in was back in the 80s and 90s with the big money tobacco sponsors.
Was there ever anything left of Andrea de Cesaris's pay packet?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I’ve now watched the push out wide incident loads of times on YouTube. No video I have seen has any footage of Verstapens onboard steering wheel. Would the FIA be deliberately blocking the release of this?
All commentators seem to be in agreement that it was a deliberate act which sets a very dangerous precedent for future races.
Max's forward facing on board camera wasn't one of the live broadcast cameras so even the FIA didn't have access to it at the time.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/m...rule-to-hamilton-verstappen-incident/6783852/
As I said yesterday, it will be interesting to see the footage once it's been downloaded & released as only one of the drivers was going to be able to make that corner and it wasn't the driver on the inside. Lewis was also lucky not to pick up any floor damage when he regained the circuit going over some grassed area and a bit of a kerb.

Top Bottom