Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought us motorsport geeks and geekettes needed a place to chinwag and chunter - so here it is. Everything from F1 to FE and BTCC to GT. As long as it's got wheels and an engine and races, it's there to be talked about, as well as drivers, tech and gossip.

So i'll bid you all welcome and slope back off to listening to the Russian GP while watching the BTCC on the telly. Wonder how the F1 will pan out, things have gone a bit, umm, interesting...

:welcome:

classic33

Leg End Member
Just don't forget the spoilers, when posting about the races!!

I am not too bothered with 4 wheels, much of a muchness as far as I am concerned. I watch the occassional F1 race but touring cars I find dull.
I go to a few rounds of the British super bikes as my brother does the catering for one of the big teams and I get free entry :smile: I also watch the motogp races which has been entertaining the last few seasons.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The F1 was a bit meh in the end. Et plus ca change, really...

So far, the BTCC meet from Silverstone, on the other hand, has been absolutely terrific. Roll on Race 3 for the touring cars... :hyper:

I think F1 would be improved if pit stops could be banned, or at the least very heavily penalised, like say cars have to remain in their pit box for a mandatory 5 minutes. That might encourage teams to race on 1 set of tyres flag to flag, and then overtaking would have to be done on track, rather than by superior pit stop strategy.

It would make the races so much easier to follow. But, then again, since F1 is mostly behind a paywall, very few people will be interested anyway.....

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Re the paywall, I've gone back to following F1 the way I used to before I got a TV when I was a kid - on the radio. Plus I use the live timing feed and text commentary on the BBC website. Works well enough for me. I refuse to pay into Bernie's retirement fund.

They sort of did that in 2005, where the cars had to race lights to flag on a single set of tyres - that only lasted a single season, helped by the debacle of the 2005 US GP where only 6 cars started. Slightly negated tactically by refuelling, but still...

Drago

Legendary Member
F1 tried the one set of tyres per race some seasons back. Aside from being dangerous, they were spending half the race not racing at all, just cruising and preserving the tyres.

Teams should inform the FIA 3 (in confidence) laps ahead of time when they intend to pit, unscheduled damage excepted. Then ban pit stops under the safety car, except for those already notified to the FIA and thus scheduled in advance. It stops underserving drivers gaining huge advantage, and thus disappointing fans.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So, who is off to Wales Rally.

I'll be there at Oulton Park on Thursday, then CC'er MTB weekender, and we are hoping to catch the stage at Colwyn if we are back in time, and defrosted/dry. My lad is chasing the lot !!!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Teams should inform the FIA 3 laps ahead of time when they intend to pit, j scheduled damage excepted. Then ban pit stops under the safety car, except for those already notified to the FIA and thus scheduled in advance. It stops underserving drivers gaining huge advantage, and thus disappoints fans.

In F2 etc, you can't pit for tyres under the safety car or virtual safety car for precisely this reason.

Top Bottom