Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
Mercedes messed up big time! Can`t believe Hamilton was allowed to restart on his own on intermediates when everyone else started on slicks! 1st place to 14! in one lap!!!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Great race in the end, and a good result. About time Alpine caught a break and Vettel has been showing some form too. Lewis’s recovery after an unbelievably stupid call at the start was fantastic, with some great racing against Fernando.

Bottas has invented a new mashup sport - F1 snooker. Potted the blue at the first corner.

carpiste

Guru
Ocon did great but he owes his win to Alonso. His blocking was superb. Bottas deserves his 5 place penalty on the next race and lucky it isn`t more! Great recovery from Lewis after the debacle at the start! Still can`t believe Mercedes could make such a bad error!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Bonkers F1 race for sure.

The BTCC meeting from Oulton was equally bonkers. Every race had a safety car, only two weren't red flagged. One race was red flagged twice. My mate RJN was doing the TV commentary, and he had to have the patience of a saint today... :wacko: Some big hits out there today, especially in the Minis and Touring Cars, glad to see all the drivers come out unscathed.

RJN did mention Paul Warwick during the commentary for the third BTCC race - it was the 30th anniversary of Paul's fatal crash at the Knickerbrook on Wednesday of last week. Brought a tear to my eye, that did...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No. It's the rules.

They have to be able to take a litre sample from the tank post race. They only got 300ml. Cut and shut, I'm afraid.

Feel sorry for Seb because he drove a blinder.
Im sure they could sample the 300ml if they wanted to.
I know the rules are the rules and the FIA don’t want cars running out of fuel on the track but it is a technical infringement, not really the drivers fault.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Im sure they could sample the 300ml if they wanted to.
I know the rules are the rules and the FIA don’t want cars running out of fuel on the track but it is a technical infringement, not really the drivers fault.

Yes, they could.

But mandating a specific minimum volume stops the teams setting up the cars to run rich and extract more power. Increased fuel flow was how Ferrari were cheating year before last. (I'm sure they were cooling the fuel to get more in the tank too to account for the increased flow rate, but because it was all brushed under the carpet by the FIA, it's impossible to prove conclusively.)

icowden

Veteran
Still can`t believe Mercedes could make such a bad error!

The suggestion seems to be that it was Lewis's error. Merc couldn't tell him on his out lap without incurring a penalty (although it seems to me that the penalty might have been better than losing position to the back of the field).

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well the alternative was to go straight in... to the first pitbox in the pitlane and then have to sit there whilst the whole field came past and effectively end up last anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Well the alternative was to go straight in... to the first pitbox in the pitlane and then have to sit there whilst the whole field came past and effectively end up last anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think that was the reason. Otherwise they'd have been done for an unsafe release if he'd tried to squeeze out. Usually it's a big advantage to have the first garage, but sometimes it's the opposite.

Top Bottom