MOTs in Northern Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
My aunt lives in Northen Ireland where MOT tests are only carried out at government run centres. The MOT on her car expires in February but the earliest test she can book is in April. Is she still allowed to drive her car until then?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Does the website not say? I know you are allowed to drive with an expired MOT if you are driving to a pre-booked MOT, but 2 months would be pushing it. Perhaps for next time it's worth booking it in for next year straight away? Might have to try and book one further away if there's no way around it?

My aunt lives in Northen Ireland where MOT tests are only carried out at government run centres. The MOT on her car expires in February but the earliest test she can book is in April. Is she still allowed to drive her car until then?

Can I be fined for being overdue?​

Drivers will not be fined as long their car is roadworthy, insured and does not have a statutory off road notification (SORN) and they can show proof of an MoT booked for a future date.
Proof can be an MoT notification, either in electronic or paper form.
However, drivers should adhere to guidance issued by the PSNI and AB

From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59985025

figbat

Slippery scientist
And there lies another problem. Some insurance policies are not valid unless there is a current MOT certificate.
My understanding is that for the purposes of the RTA, having issued a certificate of insurance it can not be passively 'invalidated' and must be specifically withdrawn by the insurer. Hence the insurer maintains third party liability - the minimum legally required - but may not pay out on accidental damage or theft claims and, further, may cancel the insurance (at the point of notification, can't be done retrospectively) and then chase you down for any costs they have incurred as a consequence of paying out when you were in breach of their conditions. This is a civil matter though.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Keep proof of the booking in the car and drive on! Otherwise, now she has a booking it's easier to log back into the system and amend/change the booking, particularly first thing in the morning when cancellations are freed up.

When booking my motorbike MOT that was due to expire on 25th Nov the earliest date I could book was february in one of the farthest away centres, I got it in eventually on 11th Nov.

Complete luck, have to be on the system at the right moment

Top Bottom