Mouldy Brooks saddle. What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Take the saddle and seat post home when you are not using it.
If steel frame I'd be reticent about this, given it's a damp environment.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not sure why.
Remove the saddle and post and stuff a rag in the downtube. It wont be a problem. My steel CDF is in a trailer and its what I do with mine. No problem.
Because of exactly what you say, tbh. I'd rather leave it sealed whilst in a damp environment. Raw unprotected steel will form rust very quickly in that environment, even with a rag stuffed in the tube, surely?
ETA
Just pull the saddle and leave the tube in situ - job jobbed, best of both and all that (and you will have the right seat height when you re-fit)

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Because of exactly what you say, tbh. I'd rather leave it sealed whilst in a damp environment. Raw unprotected steel will form rust very quickly in that environment, even with a rag stuffed in the tube, surely?
ETA
Just pull the saddle and leave the tube in situ - job jobbed, best of both and all that (and you will have the right seat height when you re-fit)
I can see your concern but in reality it does not cause a problem. I have been doing it every winter for 3 years with the cdf. Not a hint of rust.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Re: Taking the saddle indoors.

It also lessens the chances of the seat post seizing/corroding.
TIP.
Once you have your saddle at the correct height MARK the post with a sharpie or other permanent marker to aid easy setup/reassembly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bring the bikes home.

Plant mushrooms in the shed; the atmosphere is ideal.

Sell the mushrooms you don't eat.

Spend the money on a modern saddle like a Charge Spoon.

Throw the brooks in the bin with the medieval chastity belt and the Victorian horse collar.

Top Bottom