Moulton back on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dbeattie

Über Member
20161203_100932.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Good to see an oldie back out on the roads. I found a Moulton sat dumped outside a nearby house for the scrap men to dispose of. Having checked to make sure it was scrap, the wife came home from work to find the poor rusty thing in the kitchen!

The only part rusted beyond redemption was the rear rim. I built my first wheel as part of a sympathetic restoration and managed to save the rest.

They ride quite well, don't they?

OP
OP
dbeattie

dbeattie

Über Member
Good to see an oldie back out on the roads. I found a Moulton sat dumped outside a nearby house for the scrap men to dispose of. Having checked to make sure it was scrap, the wife came home from work to find the poor rusty thing in the kitchen!

The only part rusted beyond redemption was the rear rim. I built my first wheel as part of a sympathetic restoration and managed to save the rest.

They ride quite well, don't they?
Great fun to ride yes.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
There's a guy local to me whom I've seen on a few occasions who has a couple or three Moultons. Was chatting to him one day and had a wee go 'round the flagpole' and I must admit, I was impressed with the shock absorbing rubber for smoothing out the ride. Nice. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dbeattie

dbeattie

Über Member
The mini version was 7/8 size I think. That looks like it might be quite a late one. It doesn't have front suspension, and it says on the description 12" wheels. My wife is quite wee and likes the Moulton Super 4 I got for her, also a mini version but with suspension and 14" wheels, and yes that's string holding the cables in place..
20161008_105340.jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

NeilM

My first ever new bike and the only new bike my parents ever bought me was a Moulton Mini in about 1972.

I wasn't into bikes as a kid I was into control line model aeroplanes and my very sensible dad realised the Moulton had tons of space for me to put my tool box, a small model or two and any other bits I needed on the rack, ready to pedal off and fly all day, or at least until I ran out of fuel.

There is one quietly rusting away in a garden not far from my house.... I wonder if a knock on the door might be appropriate.

Top Bottom