Moulton Major Deluxe refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robrinay

I’ve had a number of different models of Moulton f frame bikes and three apb’s since my bike ‘addiction’ started in the 80’s. But it’s a long time since I sold the last one (a Landrover APB) so when I saw this ‘deluxe’ advertised on Facebook marketplace for only £120 I thought “ well why not cos even if it’s shot it’s worth more.” Closer inspection on buying it identified it as a Raleigh Factory Major Deluxe. Sadly the original paintwork had been partly rubbed back and had been over sprayed with Holly Green and plastikote black but you could see the original

Flamenco Red in places which I’ve now exposed with elbow grease fine steel wool General Thinners and kitchen roll to mop. I’ve sourced BMW Flamenco Red spray on eBay and a replica head badge and lettering. I’m waiting for decent weather to complete the job

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

Update on Major Deluxe refurb - semi stripped down, rust treated, rubbed down to key paint, masked off with masking tape and cling film. Several coats of BMW Flamenco Red applied (about 600 ml. so far), - maybe another 200 ml. needed before the lacquer?

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

Why didn’t you remove the chainset?
I didn’t think it was necessary as once I’d hand stripped the dark green paint from the frame with cellulose thinners and fine steel wool, the colour match between the old and new paint was very close and the area was complete degreased so I gave the original paint a light sand to key the surface wiped it down with thinners and wrapped the chain set neatly with clingfilm and masking tape.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
What's it like to ride? I was very tempted by one at an auction a couple of years ago, it would've gone for a song (it was an auction of farm machinery :wacko:), but I didn't as I had too many projects on at the time. Bikes often crop up at this particular auction, I got a Dawes Kingpin for £5 from one of them.
Lovely colour BTW.

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

What's it like to ride? I was very tempted by one at an auction a couple of years ago, it would've gone for a song (it was an auction of farm machinery :wacko:), but I didn't as I had too many projects on at the time. Bikes often crop up at this particular auction, I got a Dawes Kingpin for £5 from one of them.
Lovely colour BTW.
It’s a nice ride on the flat but it’s gearing is not really suitable for Sheffield where I live, which has lots of hills. There’s a local saying which boils down to,
“I parked the car and walked uphill to the shops then after shopping I walked uphill back to the car.”
To be honest I just wanted to buy and own another f frame Moulton and fix it up, but I will take it out for the odd spin. I liked the look of the Dawes kingpin - great build quality and posh accessories when compared to its ‘sister’ Tube Investment bikes but when I finally found one I found it a little too short (distance between seat and handlebars), and it gave me back ache.

Last edited:
Top Bottom