Mountain Bike Front Derailleur Issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stwutter

Hi.

My wife's just bought a M Bike with the normal triple set-up. The shifting up from small-middle-big is fine, but no matter how much I tighten or loosen the cable, either by unclamping it or via the adjusters, I can't get it to shify from the big back to the middle (it just moves enough for the chain to rub - no where near enough to shift it). However, if I then shift to the small ring from there, no problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is it new or second-hand?

If new, straight back to the shop.

If second-hand, go to the shop anyway and buy new cables. The cable is sticking. Change the whole set from end to end, the shop should be able to make up a matching set for you.

If you change gear and help the derailleur cage with finger pressure, does it change OK? That's the proof.

Mark_Robson

When you say unclamp the cable do you mean unclamp it from the front mech? If this is the case then the fault must be with the front mech itself. I would suggest spraying it with lube and either use the cable to wiggle it back and forth or do it by hand and see if if it is sticking. As Globalti said though if you bought it from a shop they should have ensured that it was working properly before handing it over to you.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Had the same problem last week and was riding in small & middle rings for a couple of days for fear of not getting back to middle once I got into the big one.

Then after its weekly wash, I sprayed some GT85 in the front mech pivots and into the cable housing.

Been fine ever since.

I think it was a combination of the cable and pivots being dry & dirty and not moving as freely as they should have been.

Give it a go before visiting the bike shop

Top Bottom