Mountain bike with road wheels, is it possible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User65906

@cyberknight, I do not even remember if it is v or disc,
the bike went to my sons house 6 years ago, I put a head
bearing in it since, think its v, son will be home at weekend
so will ask him to take a look at it and leave it out so I can
collect it.
That fork is is disk, have you or anyone a link to a v brake fork.
just looked on Halfords, and the kraken is way cheaper than I
paid 6 years ago, it has disk brakes too, but weight has gone up,
I had that voodo agwa which was 13.6 kg, and I definitely found
it way heavier than the Kraken, the Kraken is now 14 kg, this is cause for
concern.

Salar

A fish out of water
Hi Salar
Nice bike, I like the components too.
Are they wheels original mountain bike ones, or wide road wheels.

Thanks,

Wheels are original Sun Black Eye,notorious for being difficult to change tyres, your's should be easier, tyres are Nimbus x 1.5, a bit skinny, but they do the job.
I sold the suspension forks to cover the cost of some of the mods.:smile:

Not sure what brakes you have on your bike, but if they are disc and you change fork to rigid, make sure the forks have the bosses for them, you'll also probably need an an adapter plate to suit the brakes, don't worry it's pretty straightforward to do.

More than likely you will have to cut the steerer tube on the new forks too.

I really need to fit the mudguards and rack which I have lying around, that gap above the suspension adjusted fork really bugs me!

Good luck with your mods.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Thanks,

Wheels are original Sun Black Eye,notorious for being difficult to change tyres, your's should be easier, tyres are Nimbus x 1.5, a bit skinny, but they do the job.
I sold the suspension forks to cover the cost of some of the mods.:smile:

Not sure what brakes you have on your bike, but if they are disc and you change fork to rigid, make sure the forks have the bosses for them, you'll also probably need an an adapter plate to suit the brakes, don't worry it's pretty straightforward to do.

More than likely you will have to cut the steerer tube on the new forks too.

I really need to fit the mudguards and rack which I have lying around, that gap above the suspension adjusted fork really bugs me!

Good luck with your mods.
Thanks for the info on the wheels and tyres. I will see the bike in a few days
and evaluate whether or not to convert it or just sell the frame to someone
in need.

Psyzen

MTB has a rear dropout spacing of 135 generally and road bikes are 130 mm .
As said above you could put slicks on it and it would make a reasonable winter commuter , i have a subway which i did a drop bar conversion on.
Using 26x1.5 city jet tyres it goes very well on the flat , slower than my road bikes on hills but then again its a good 6 kg + heavier

I went for bar end shifters for cheapness as road shifters can be used but the front STI has a different cable pull to MTB so i would have needed a road FD, brakes too have a different pull on MTB to road so i use linear pull brakes that pull the correct cable for mtb discs.To use the STIs i would have had to change..
shifters
brake calipers
front mech
MY set up means i have changed the shifters to bar end and brake levers to linear pull. View attachment 409588

Hi, can I please just ask what mudguards are used in this pic? I've been looking for the right ones for a while and really like the look of these!
Thanks!

Top Bottom