Mountain Bikers v Walkers - live on the Jezza Vine show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Stop ringing up every hour then.
... I can’t help myself, my views are sooo important, world-changing and influential, as am I....

lane

Veteran
I think the ramblers have more of an issue with dirt bike motorcycles than mtn bikes, but mtn bikes and ebikes are probably fair game to whinge about. Then dirt bike riders moan about 4X4's chewing up the lanes. Dog walkers dont pick up their dogs sheet either, so they're another target.
Basically, everyone hates everyone else and they all want the countryside just for their own kind.

As part of my economics degree in the early 80s I remember studying leisure use conflict. Nothing new.

It was a piss easy module as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Countryside walkers share the same dislike of cyclists as city drivers. It's caused by the tiny minority of cyclists who, in the countryside, ride on footpaths, drop litter and irritate walkers and in cities, ride on pavements, jump red lights and irritate drivers.

Selfish behaviour stems from the feeling of entitlement that comes from being smug and conceited about one's choice of transport.

classic33

Leg End Member
The more vociferous section appear to want all of the ROW to themselves, [there's the odd story (true or not) about them walking through a garden, as it's on an old ROW

To put is another way, they want to have the cake, eat their slice & shovel everyone else's pieces down their throats too

I think this dates back to the time of the reworking of the ROW acts, so 2000??
Sorry. not the best quality

View attachment 475208

RUPPs disappeared under the Act
Calder Valley, 2016/2017. New housing development built on a public right of way. Householder had to have a gate put in or be taken to court by the same council that granted planning permission in the first place.

My only real issue with mtb'ing in the hills is on steep slopes where the channelling effect of a tyre, on soil causes faster erosion.
Which pales compared to the overall wear of popular mountain paths, scree slopes, water pollution etc.. caused by walkers.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Which pales compared to the overall wear of popular mountain paths, scree slopes, water pollution etc.. caused by walkers.

Well of course two wrongs don't make a right.

But the effect of one person on a bike making tyre slots is considerably harsher than same person on two feet.

So yes it becomes a numbers game.

Edit.. Why are walkers causing more water pollution than cyclists??

Well of course two wrongs don't make a right.

But the effect of one person on a bike making tyre slots is considerably harsher than same person on two feet.

So yes it becomes a numbers game.
I'd dispute the harshness, more obvious, sure but once a few walkers have trampled over the tracks, they disappear. Plus what makes it 'wrong'. Using the countryside and managing that use is just an inevitability we have to accept. What we need, for everyone is more and freer access, a right to roam, like in Scotland.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Who made all those massive eroded paths up the popular Welsh and English mountains? Not cyclists but walkers.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd dispute the harshness, more obvious, sure but once a few walkers have trampled over the tracks, they disappear. Plus what makes it 'wrong'. Using the countryside and managing that use is just an inevitability we have to accept. What we need, for everyone is more and freer access, a right to roam, like in Scotland.

I was referring to the erosion as the 'wrongs'

But was pointing out that a channel cut by a tyre in a slope causes faster water erosion than the individual divots caused by foot traffic.

We all need to be aware of the effect we are having through our outdoor pursuits definitely.

It's not cyclist v walker.

Like I say, I do both, as I'm sure many on here do.

There is a right to roam on most open upland in England and Wales.
But not a right to wildcamp, as there is in Scotland.

Although many of us do it stealthily with no problem, anyway.

Access to free roam farmland, is possibly more problematic, but if done with consideration, for crops and livestock, shouldn't cause any real bother.

It's the 'done with consideratio'n that's the tricky part.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Good topic in NI. One area popular with MTB riders(mainly Downhill types) and walkers is Cave Hill.. While (last time checking) officially MTBing isn't strictly allowed, it's not prohibited either, yet a large network of trails has been developed off the main walking routes.. What happens then is inevitably, walkers take to these trails only to encounter a DH rider on a KOM run. There has even been sabotage/murder attempts with large logs and wire traps etc

Then you go to official trails at designated trail centres and find walkers walking against the flow of the trail. Can't win vs rambliar types because they all have "cyclist ran over my dog/nephew/foot" stories that are taken with more clout.. Even when you ride where you're supposed to you still end up demonised, bit like road cycling, with less dog sheet and trees

Top Bottom