Mountain bikes with encased sections.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turelyon

Greetings forum people!

I am considering buying a new mountain bike in order to get to work. My travel route will involve going down the canal bank, which, in our area is like a dirt track! :blush:
I have seen bikes that have encasing on several areas to keep those vital areas free from dirt. Do these mountain bikes have a specific name?
Can anyone recommend a model?

maurice

Not sure what you mean really, are you talking about mudguards or something?!

1LegRikk

There meant to get dirty, wash and oil it once a week and jobs a good un.
After a good run mine looks a total mess, hose and some fenwicks and she's all shiney again :sad:

if you're meaning the gear box bikes which have the gears mounted within the main triangle of the frame, encased, the only point is to move weight to the centre of the bike, as legrikk said, give it a wash every now and then and a bit of oil and you'll be fine

i'm yet to wash my mountain bike (tis now three years old iirc) and its quite happy, they're built to cope with dirt and mud.

also, you don't need full suspension for a commute, you don't need any suspension really, even for a lot of off road riding, tis just excess weight.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Pushing tin said:
also, you don't need full suspension for a commute, you don't need any suspension really, even for a lot of off road riding, tis just excess weight.

I don't know what kind of riding you do Tin, but that is a vast sweeping generalisation that is just so wrong. Front suspension is the norm for all MTBS now, and its only a few luddites who persist with rigid forks.

Rear suspension is a little bit unclearer as, I agree, it is heavier, but a lot of XC riders are using it now as technology has advanced, and the weight is neglible when it comes to the comfort and speed it gives the rider.

OP
OP
T

Turelyon

Its like a chain case that keeps the chain completely consealed and you use a small tool to open the said case. I will see if I can find a pic of one to show you what I mean...

I know it does sound like I'm being lazy and looking for a solution to save me from cleaning the thing. My dilemma though is that I will not be able to clean it while I am at work so it will be left there for about 10 hours every day covered in mud.

spence

Über Member
I think you are worrying too much, I can't see a canal path being that muddy. During the winter after a night ride in the wood - and around here that's muddy - the bike may not be seen for a few days.

But I think you are talking about an old style oil bath chain case:

lifestyle_20.jpeg

detail_0-20.jpeg

detail_1-20.jpeg

Sorry never seen such a thing on a mountain bike.

02GF74

Über Member
chain cover only really makes sense on a single speed - it would be big and bulky for a mountain bike

unless you go on really bumpy stuff, rigid forks are adequate, certain no need for rear suspension.

JonGW

You want this then....!!
millyard_custom_machine.jpg

1LegRikk

Mine gets left for days after a ride through thick mud on occasion, you don't need to clean them everytime they get a little mucky.
Ride it to work all week, clean/regrease at the weekend and your sorted.

Top Bottom