mountain biking around Lancaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Talking to some of the guys from the lancaster uni club, there is little mountain biking around here from the university, which I find very hard to believe considering the amount of countryside here, so does anybody with any local knowledge know of any off road routes near to the uni? I'd be a bit depressed if every mountain bike ride was just pounding the tarmac with a mountain bike, may as well use the roadie,

cheers

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't know, but hopefully this lot should be able to point you in the right direction.

Looking at the maps, there are some nice hills to the East but not many bridleways marked. I'm sure there will be stuff that isn't marked though.

U

User482

There's some nice riding over at Caton Moor (the wind farm). Mind you, I did once end up in A&E after stacking it on the downhill, so take it easy.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
you can pick up the 'cycling for all' brochures for free in most lancaster bike shops which have some 'rough' routes, but they are 80% on road 20% off road... shame they don't have them available on the celebrating cycling website though (half a job).

Iggy1969

Bit late to this thread as well tbh. But yeah I've been out a few times with the Boggies & they are a really good bunch. Friendly & patient especially if you're a newbie like me lol.

lpretro1

Lancashire in general has a shortage of bridleways to ride compared to most other counties. Lots of them also arrive at dead ends! Get an OS map and seek out old roads/tracks and bridlepaths. There are good cycle paths from Glasson Dock right the way through to Morecambe and you can also use a lot of the canal towpath to join things up - there are tracks around Garstang and up towards Beacon Fell if you are inventive.

Lancashire is rather short of bridleways as are the hills to the east. But a short cheap train journey takes you to Windermere or Staveley where there is all the riding you could want. Take the bike friendly direct trains though, not the Virgins and change as Virgin can be rather jobsworth about bike reservations.

Top Bottom