mountain biking in Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mountain biking In Wales has been at the forefront of the tourist industry for a long time and quite rightly so. Wales had the first dedicated trail centre in the uk, and its still the largest.

Coed y Brenin based in the snowdonia national park has some of the most beautiful countryside and forest settings that any mountain biker could possibly want. MTB cyclists come from all, over europe to test they're skills or lack thereof.

There are more than 7 trails to chose from, from the simplest, that are suitable for families to, hard core oh my god trails.

There is a visitor centre, cafe, and a LBS called the holy trail, that not only sells bikes, mainly giant, but also hires bikes and other equipment as and when required.

If you get tired of cycling, there are the nearby towns of Dolgellau, and Barmouth, and attractions such as king arthurs labyrinth, a cave complex that people can visit, and the tour consists of visitors being in a boat, as the cave is full of water. Just remember to take a coat with you, because it is very, very cold in there.

Coed y Brenin was closed at the beginning of the year due to the storms that hit wales, bringing down many trees and making the area generally unsafe. The damage and the downed trees have now beem cleared, and all, the cycle paths are open once again.

If you love mountain biking, in the wilds, then you can't do any better than to visit this well known biking centre. Visit www.forestry.gov.uk/coedybrenin or simply look coed y brenin up on your browser.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

That post was brought to you by the Welsh Tourist Board, operating on a new budget.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

That post was brought to you by the Welsh Tourist Board, operating on a new budget.

Im just trying to let peope know where good biking can be found. I've seen many bikers in my local town who all, have huge smiles on they're faces and are often covered from head to to in mud.

and its not just coed y brenin. There are great places to cycle all, over Wales. A shameful plug I know. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Quite a few people may be lookng for somewhere they can go for a short break, and may not realise coed y brenin exists. There are probably quite a few places like this, and people may, like to plug one that is in they're neck of the woods. Thats even better. Let everyone know where these centres can be found. The more the merrier.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've done Coed y Brenin and The Beast, plus a few of the other N Wales trails. Crackin' fun, especially on the first day of Spring last year when it was covered in snow.. :laugh:

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

The 1st time went to Coed Y Brenin I broke my shoulder.

The 2nd time I went, I got covered head to toe in midge bites.

Dont go. Its a sh1thole.

[Just for balance like]

Sour grapes perhaps? Every time I see the MTB they are always laughing they're heads off. But I suspect midges could be a problem for some people

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mountain biking In Wales has been at the forefront of the tourist industry for a long time and quite rightly so. Wales had the first dedicated trail centre in the uk, and its still the largest.

Coed y Brenin based in the snowdonia national park has some of the most beautiful countryside and forest settings that any mountain biker could possibly want. MTB cyclists come from all, over europe to test they're skills or lack thereof.

There are more than 7 trails to chose from, from the simplest, that are suitable for families to, hard core oh my god trails.

There is a visitor centre, cafe, and a LBS called the holy trail, that not only sells bikes, mainly giant, but also hires bikes and other equipment as and when required.

If you get tired of cycling, there are the nearby towns of Dolgellau, and Barmouth, and attractions such as king arthurs labyrinth, a cave complex that people can visit, and the tour consists of visitors being in a boat, as the cave is full of water. Just remember to take a coat with you, because it is very, very cold in there.

Coed y Brenin was closed at the beginning of the year due to the storms that hit wales, bringing down many trees and making the area generally unsafe. The damage and the downed trees have now beem cleared, and all, the cycle paths are open once again.

If you love mountain biking, in the wilds, then you can't do any better than to visit this well known biking centre. Visit www.forestry.gov.uk/coedybrenin or simply look coed y brenin up on your browser.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
:rofl:The opening sentence is utter parp. MTB'ing represents a tiny propostion of tourism in Wales. And Wales' tourist "industry" is, ime, staffed and run by migrants as, all to often, "Welsh Hospitality" is an oxymoron.

What's more if you are mountain biking in a trail centre then by definition you aren't mountain biking in the wilds but in a park constructed for the purpose.

If you want wilds do the trans-cambria. (EDIT: or see Clive Powell on Rhyader) Or go to Scotland.

Married to a Welsh girl, lived in Wales for five years, sister lives in Wales, father lives in Wales, both kids born in Wales, watched every episode of Hinterland on S4C, visits Wales five or six times a year and has ridden 5 of the Welsh trail centres and done the trans-cambria half-a-dozen times.:thumbsdown:

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

I think it all depends on where you are. Here mtb plays a big part and attracts mtb cyclists from abroad. On the back of that is the number of cycling races that go on,, the last one taking place this last bank holiday. And on top, of that we are seeing more and more tourists here with bikes on they're roof racks.

yes there are areas in Cumbria and scotland where you can get out into the wilds. But as I said, if you want to have fun coed y brenin is a good place to visit, and the tourists think so to.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think it all depends on where you are. Here mtb plays a big part and attracts mtb cyclists from abroad. On the back of that is the number of cycling races that go on,, the last one taking place this last bank holiday. And on top, of that we are seeing more and more tourists here with bikes on they're roof racks.

yes there are areas in Cumbria and scotland where you can get out into the wilds. But as I said, if you want to have fun coed y brenin is a good place to visit, and the tourists think so to.
Lets not forget Yorkshire!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And on top, of that we are seeing more and more tourists here with bikes on they're roof racks.
Maybe it is me but cars with bikes on them, especially mountain bikes are oftem some of the most badly driven I even encounter on two wheels!

And the roads in Wales don't need any more cars, they are fine as they are.

Top Bottom