Mountain vs Road clipless pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Banjo said:
your post doesnt answer the OPs question at all. He asked about the merits of road versus MTB shoes not SPD versus SPDsL I have the same SPD cleats on both my road and my MTB shoes and know which is definitely easier to walk on.

PS If you like wearing high heels dont be shy ,Im sure the cyclechatters are a very inclusive bunch :evil:

Putting SPD on a shoe with no recessed hole is suicide!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
gaz said:
Putting SPD on a shoe with no recessed hole is suicide!

I agree with you.I rarely wear the road shoes .the MTB shoes with recessed cleats are a lot easier on and off the bike.

madguern

I prefer SPD for weekday commuting as easier to get out of them in traffic, nothing worse than a clipless moment in the commuter traffic. My aim currently is to get a pair of SPD-SL's (cheap) for when I ride at weekends where traffic not a problem and comfort and distance is.

Cheers

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
If you go down the SPD MTB route, i recommend a pair of Spesh BG shoes, they'll probably last longer than the bike. Mine are 5 years old now and good as new.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've always had MTB SPDs because someone recommended them to me because
- they are double sided so easier to clip in
- the single side ones are slippy if you don't manage to clip in
- you can walk around in MTB shoes because the cleat is recessed.

I have stuck with the MTB cleats for 6 years because lo and behold:
- the are easy to clip in, it doesn't matter which way up the pedal is
- if i don't clip in, my foot does not slip off the pedal
- i can walk around in my shoes without wrecking the cleats and also if you do have to get off your bike to walk up a steep hill, it is easier in MTB shoes.

I only once wore a pair of road shoes with road cleats (think they were Look) and OMG!!!! i really did look like bambi on ice (not helped by the fact that i am 6ft tall and lanky!) and i was on a slippy surface (at the velodrome). This makes me think that MTB are less slippy if you put your foot down at the lights.

so IMO you should go for MTB SPDs

Top Bottom