Mounting a light on the forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirtyhanz2

I have fitted a ortlieb bar bag but its blocked off where I would normally mount my front light so I have fitted on the forks I think this is ok it's not the nicest looking solution does anyone know if you can get an adapter that would raise it above the bar bag like the gopro is
Thanks for any advice

Ajax Bay

Guru
What's the problem? Mounting a light on the fork crown is an excellent position. A light in the position of that camera would not light the road surface where light is needed: to avoid potholes and detritus: the rider would be desparately squinting into the bar bag's dark shadow. Mounting the light on a fork blade will mean the light beam pattern will be sub-optimal with a significant shadow thrown by the rim/tyre in front of it and the verge/road edge will be inadequately lit.

You seem to have two lights there ?
My only concern is that the light is secure and not going to go into the spokes, and at some angles the wheel might block the light of you're off to the other side ?

But you still have the light above the mudguard ?

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

The light above the mudgards is dynamo light not great on very dark lanes the light on the fork is quite bright 1300 lumens which is is fantastic on the dark lanes but horrible for on coming traffic I like to alter its power but not so easy where it is mounted now

How often do you ride at night with that setup?
I only ask because this is in Touring and I would have thought night touring was exceptional.
In those circumstances I've used a head torch as extra light.

I currently have a dynamo light attached to a platform rack as @MichaelW2 suggests. No matter what the circumstances there's nothing in front of the light. But that doesn't help you control the light as you ride.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Light on the forks was normal once. Bikes came with a huge chrome bracket for those clunky lights that held half a hundred weight of batteries and had the lighting power of a candle!

I bought a mount that fits to the hole in the fork crown where you would fit a mud guard screw, it clears the bar bag that I fit in similar situations to yours

does the manufacturer of your bike light do the same?

I’ve found it easy to access should you need to

see image below

oldwheels

Legendary Member
What's the problem? Mounting a light on the fork crown is an excellent position. A light in the position of that camera would not light the road surface where light is needed: to avoid potholes and detritus: the rider would be desparately squinting into the bar bag's dark shadow. Mounting the light on a fork blade will mean the light beam pattern will be sub-optimal with a significant shadow thrown by the rim/tyre in front of it and the verge/road edge will be inadequately lit.
Bikes used to come with a boss welded on to the offside fork for fitting a light. My old Flying Scot of 1950's vintage is so equipped and it was standard then.

Top Bottom