Mounting a tubeless tyres on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
One of my tyres now resists my efforts and those of a professional, experienced MTB mechanic to mount. Two shops, Evans and Giant, have quoted £40 to mount a tyre. Given that I successfullly mounted tyres (including the current miscreant) in less than 10 minutes I do not find the shop charge acceptable. I have tried all the tips and tricks suggested by the wheel maker. Can it be that the tyre has become faulty?

PS I have tried both Stans and Doc Blue sealant, my air blast works well. All comments appreciated.

screenman

Legendary Member
How do you mean mount, do you mean cannot get them to inflate at all? I add Stans after I have inflated and deflated mine a few times. Google lighter fuel tyre inflate.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
A bloke came into work yesterday and said the bike shop had charged him £80 to supply and fit a road bike tyre, that's motorcycle teritory!.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If its a new folding tyre then stick a tube in for a couple of days to stretch it into shape.

then try your air blast..
ive had mtb tyres that just wont seal until its had a tube in for a while..

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The wheel and tyre info might help. If it has been on for a while and everything fine my bet would be a leak in the rim either rim tape or the valve seal.

I have created a air leak in the tubeless tape with a tyre lever getting the tyre on or off.

keithmac

Guru
He mentioned £7 for "glue" and I'm sure it was £40 or something daft for fitting?.

I do all my own work but all our bikes are tubed.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Problem solved, I think, by adding more rim tape.

I need to replace the tyres, currently running Schwalbe Pro On Tubeless. Very fast but too delicate for the lanes in Surrey, Kent and elswhere even in Summer. Does anyone have recommendations for winter use particularly?

Top Bottom