Move a dynamo hup to another wheel. Cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How much would it cost as I want to keep my rigida supersonic rims. I use them off road every day. The rim is as true today as it was 10 years ago. Magnificent rim. I would probably need want to want to put the original hub into the wheel it has been taken out of. Or should I just by a cheapo wheel and put that on the other bike?
The dynamo hub is Schmidt Dynamo and it comes with lights. What sort of price would I pay for that anyway.
Thanks for any help.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Would you like to have another go at describing what you want to do! Currently you have a dynamo hub laced to a Rigida rim. What's the desired outcome?

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Would you like to have another go at describing what you want to do! Currently you have a dynamo hub laced to a Rigida rim. What's the desired outcome?
Apologies sometimes a bit shite at explaining.
Dynamo hub is on another wheel. Want to to put it on my beloved rigida
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Doesn't look like a modern one??
Is it? Can't find one like it.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Have dynamo on two other bikes. Not fantastic light but I have habit of forgetting to charge the battery my excellent front light.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So it’s taking the dynamo hub off one wheel and building it into another. Any good LBS should be able to undertake that. No idea of cost but my local guy here would charge me about £3/4. Maybe couple of hours at whatever the rate is.
You could always do it yourself, plenty of videos on YouTube.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Dynamo hub is a 36 (by my count). Confirm the Rigida rim is drilled for 36 spokes.
If so then you can just do a straight swap, but.
Are LBS upto the job of rebuilding a wheel anyway?
If you're going to get someone else to do this, then don't waste time asking us: ask them. Your LBS should be able to build wheels but I guess some won't.
If you're going to lace them up yourself then the spokes will be a different length so you'd need to buy two new sets (@£20 x 2, double butted), unless you're very lucky (go to a spoke calculator for the detail (Sheldon), but establish/find hub flange and rim ERD details - https://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm#MeasureHubAndRim). And then just build two front wheels: no additional cost.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Dynamo hub is a 36 (by my count).
Realised as soon as I posted I should count at the hub and didn't need to see the entire rim..... I confirm 36 spokes :okay:
In my defence, spacing at the rim looked a bit tighter than only 36.

si_c

Guru
Depends on where you live. My LBS charge ~£1.20 per spoke and £20 for a wheel build add on VAT for that. If buying spokes myself I pay about 90p per spoke and £5 for a couple of nice beers whilst I build the wheel.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Do you need more than Sheldon Brown?
More generally, Richard's New Bicycle Book was the best £2 (charity shop) buy and mine is very well thumbed (not for 21st century bikes so much though).
I learned most of my fettling skillz from Richard's original Bicycle Book, but being now something of an old dog I found Roger Musson (Wheelpro) instructions on wheelbuilding much clearer than Sheldon's

Top Bottom