Move to end the BSO.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
That may be partly because there is no drive for minimum quality - which is what this thread is all about :-)

And wouldn't it be good to shoot for more utility cyclists?
It would come at a cost to fit sealed bearings rather than cup and Cone for example which would reduce maintenance but it would no longer be a cheap bike. Also if you want derailleur gears you can't seal the drive train. In reality, a bike is so easy and cheap to maintain and the vast majority of riders do so few miles that there is little incentive to do any of this and the typical BSO customer could not or would not pay the extra.

I have bought 5 year old cars for £5k because that's my budget. I go to garages that get checked out by trading standards, have liability insurance, also offer a warranty of at least 6 months on every car they sell. I also pick certain garages because they have a good reputation.

Secondhand bike market is any Tom, Richard or Harold who has possession of a bike they want to pass on for money. I think I can sniff out the dodgy but no guarantee. No idea if stolen, no trading standard to investigate should it go pear shaped. I'm on my own with potentially a bike that needs much more spent on it to get it roadworthy than it's worth.

Of course it might be a stereotype to say that most supporting the petition and secondhand over new potential BSO are the sort to be into bike maintenance with a box full of spares for such a used bike. I'm not. I have no. Interest in playing around with bikes in a man cave even though I now have a garage and can do it to a certain level.

I'm not the only person like this but I at least have an appreciation of better bikes and own a few. I also have an appreciation of the circumstances of someone buying the BSO. It's still a very valid option and it's elitist to say that option isn't allowed. I say get on your 1990s kona rigid mtb, go out to find your next project and let others ride their bike choice how they like! :laugh:

PS I'd rather have a road filled with BSO riders than a ban on them.

Top Bottom