Move to end the BSO.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Who gets to decide what is poor quality, and is simply inexpensive and workmanlike? And how do they make that distinction?

Surely we can all agree that the "suspension" that comes on BSOs is poor quality. Just ban crap rear suspension. Minimum quality or it can't be sold as part of a bike.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Take away the demand not the supply I guess?
The thing is that people who want to buy a bike and know nothing about them or the market look at a Giant or whatever and then look at a cheap crap bike on Amazon which is visually similar and thinks what’s the difference?

The thing is that people who want to buy a bike and know nothing about them or the market look at a Giant or whatever and then look at a cheap crap bike on Amazon which is visually similar and thinks what’s the difference?
Exactly, it's about education. The people selling these bikes aren't going to stop (whilst they can make a profit) so I think the petition is going after the wrong target.

Some sort of public awareness campaign or piggbybacking any existing ones to help people choose and find the right quality bike is better.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Theres definately a need for cheap, but ok, bicycles and I think it's about adjusting people's expectations. The example given here is what I mean. I once needed a bike and had no budget to speak of, luckily I was able to borrow one but I think pointing people at one of the many places that do things is a better place to start.

Take away the demand not the supply I guess?
Education about cycling, specifically, and wasteful consumerism generally.

I try to spread the word locally and have had some good successes; doing up a bike for a friend so they didn't buy a new BSO, for example.

Who gets to decide what is poor quality, and is simply inexpensive and workmanlike? And how do they make that distinction?
Standards.

Most industries now have to meet them. (although I admit I don't know the detail of enforcement - but if you buy a new car and can show it would fail an MOT, you can definitely get it sorted by the dealer/maker.)

Bikes are simple things (compared to cars or laptops), and I suspect the Germans have done most of the groundwork already?

Can't see it happening.
Not everyone can afford or want to spend as much as others.
Bikes will be cheaper to own in the long run.

There will always be 2nd hand bikes available, and
the market for 2nd hand will be stronger, so even buying new will seem a good investment.

I would sign a petition for The Rules on any sub £100 bike
1. No suspension
2. No looky likey suspension design
3. Fat aluminium or skinny steel tubing. No fat steel looky likey aluminium.
4. Rack and mudguard eyelets compulsory.
I have ridden cheap bikes that obey The Rules and they are much more rideable and durable and lighter than BSOs

All uphill

Still rolling along
How about product labelling?

Three categories:

Light - under 10kg
Mediumweight- 10 to 15 kg
Heavy as a mountain - 15+

Oh yes , ebikes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Let the buyer beware. It isn't rocket science to work out that if a bike costs £199 from a catalogue it isn't going to be cutting edge.

And heavyweight clunkers do not put people off cycling, my first bike was one of those and I still fell in love with riding a bike and my passion and kit progressed from there. I suspect most of us started like that.

I like the cost calculations but margins too don't necessarily run in a linear way. 33% at £300 but perhaps as low as 10% on the £150 pile them high and sell them cheap BSO. So £15 which means £60 or closer to half the £300 bike. Perhaps cheaper fixed overheads due to less marketing, more automation and due to higher number of units shipping per unit too. Suddenly the £150 bike is more profitable.

All this is purely hypothetical as I bet nobody on here has worked for BSO manufacturers to know for sure.

Also, who's to say people have any choice between £150 and £300 bikes. I know many for whom it's BSO or nothing and they need something to get to work without an hour walk because they can't afford public transport. It is more than a little elitist and dare I say ignorance of the circumstances that lead some to buy BSOs to try and ban them. I bet it's set up by people with many bikes to choose from and a nice middle class income to afford them.

Top Bottom