Moving gear levers on a ladies bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonR

Hi all,

I'm doing this for my girlfriend who won't hear of putting dropped-handlebars on her bike but finds the reach to the gearshifters a bit too far to be safe / comfortable.

At the moment, the bike is like this:

IMG_3077.jpg

But I need to move the shifters to the stem, like this:

IMG_3078.jpg

I've bought the Shimano SIS shifters from eBay but can't work out how best to fit them. I'm guessing that I'll have to buy an outer cable to go between the new shifters and somewhere - but where...?

I don't know how other bikes are set up for these shifters - I'm assuming that they have braze-ons somewhere on the down-tube - probably about where the existing shifters are. If so, can I but a bolt-on version?

I would consult the documentation that came with the new gear levers but it's so laughable I've included a copy here for you to enjoy. Its message is basically 'if it doesn't work and you can't adjust it then take it to your LBS!'.

IMG_3083e.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
You would normally have braze ons on the DT like you say (at least that is how my MTB is set up with SIS shifters). I believe there are cable stops available to bolt on in place of your current DT shifters. Or try it with a full length outer cable (probably what I would do).

Top Bottom