Moving shifters from downtube to bars - need cable stops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I'm converting an old 5-speed bike to use a Nexus Inter-8 hub gear.

The original gear cable ran from a downtube shifter, through a cable guide on top of the bottom bracket to a cable stop about 10cm from the end of the chain stay, then to the mech. Between the stop and the mech was a short length of outer and the rest of the run was uncovered (ie pretty standard rear cable routing).

The hub gear shifter is a grift shift and intended to use a full cable outer. The outer starts where the cable exists the shifter and finishes at a stop on the hub joint.

I could use a full outer with cable clips and ignore the existing routing, but I think it would be neater to use it if I can.

The existing braze-ons are:

1. a small nub on the downtube where the band on shifter was
  2. a cable guide on top of the bottom bracket
  3. the cable stop on the chainstay
So I think all I need to do is add a cable stop where the old downtube shifter was. Then I can run outer between the shifter and this stop, naked cable between the stop and the chainstay stop, and finally another short length of cable between the stop of the hub.

Are there any problems with doing this? Also, is anyone aware of a band on cable stop for downtubes? I've found this: http://www.sjscycles...-Stop-18209.htm - will it do the job?

Thanks
Liz

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
No problems with using a cablestop that attaches via the DT mount, I've not run a hub gear cable without a full outer. I can't think of any reason it can't be done but I personally wouldn't bother. You can get some nifty cable ties that give routing for two cables. The cable tie fits as a normal one and you trim off excess. Then each one has a little plastic clip bracket that opens and closes to accept cable runs. I have these on my Surly and they've been great.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Are there any problems with doing this? Also, is anyone aware of a band on cable stop for downtubes? I've found this: http://www.sjscycles...-Stop-18209.htm - will it do the job?

Thanks
Liz

1) None that I'm aware of.
2) Yes - although getting harder & harder to find. I got a nice one from the USA, but supplier has none left.
3) yes - but it's ugly, and I'm not sure that one provides for cable tension adjustment.

You could use one of these, and a pair of these to create the cable adjustment, but TBH MacB suggestion is going to be a lot less hassle.

Top Bottom