Mow Cop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a mile climb. Pretty steady until the pub, I'd say upto 1 in 8 max then it ramps to the 1 in 4 for 200 yards then eases back to 1 in 8. I rode most of the hill in 39 x 19, then 21 just before the steep bit, then the 24. Wasn't a pretty sight though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks for that, as with nearly all hill climbs the wind will have a part to play, I have looked at it on street view and the 1:4 section looks shorter than that but really hard to tell. The time itself is unimportant, more about how she does against the opposition, if it is a howling headwind, eek. Apparently in one hill climb competition years ago no one could get to the top because of the wind, so we have our fingers crossed. Hill climbers are generally built like stick insects so any headwind can be a nightmare.

What did she use at Monsal? I go up 25% sections in about 2 cogs up from what I went up Monsal in, IME going lower doesn't increase speed or reduce suffering and makes pedalling action more ragged. Just asked my clubmate (Chris, the guy that is usually at the HC's) what gearing he used to go up Mow Cop today as he was out for a recce in prep for racing on Sunday. Will let you know what he says.

I don't know if Helen will push much easier gears than me and Chris or whether she can push the same ratios given she is very slight and won't weight anywhere near what I do? :smile:

Just been up the Rake in 39:25, on Sunday will be hitting it in 39:23 if I can, both climbs look similar on paper tbh, fairly manageable gradient up until a short section of 25% right at the end. As you know, I don't like standing up unless I have to and I managed to ride up the Rake sat down until I hit the 25%. Sounds like Mow Cop is similar.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This vid gives a good perspective....

That guy is going about half the speed Helen will be going, if that, lol :smile:

Blimey, had a look at some stuff on YouTube and the numbers that were walking is a bit scary, the thread itself unfortunately wasn't a lot of help, more about being happy to get up it, we are more interested in the gearing that was used.

Videos of walkers en masse in a sportive is nothing to be concerned with, hah.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got half way up then got off and walked. I hadn't been back cycling long (after a 7 year lay off) and it was on a ratty BSO Apollo jobbie.
No idea why we went that way and then decided that Mow Cop would be a plan but we did.

Soon after that I broke my wrist and had another 12 month lay off.

Mickthemove

Über Member
When i first walked up in July, I was there for about half hour and saw no one seated and spinning! The last 100 yards of 25% is deffo a stand and grind for most with a 28 on the back!

I went back in sept and didn't walk any of it but that last 100 yards lives vividly in my nightmares:hyper:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's a plot of the profile taken from my digital OS map ...

Mow Cop profile.gif

The difference between dr_pink and you guys is power output, we can put out 400W easily for short climbs and some of us much higher than that, dr_pink weighs 50kg and can't go anywhere near that although she has a very good power to weight ratio which is excellent for longer climbs. She did Monsal Head on 39x25 briefly and I would think then she could do Mow Cop on the same but would probably be more efficient on 39x27. The length of that
1 in 4 section is fairly crucial though so it looks as though we will have to ride it a few times on Sat afternoon.
I think you are correct Rob in that the Rake is very similar in profile, just not as long, but what you definitely don't want on 25% climbs are wet roads, so fingers crossed.

Here's a plot of the profile taken from my digital OS map ...

View attachment 30587
Looking at that Colin, I make the steepest section to be about 100 m. Yikes, I have just looked at the forecast and the wind for Sunday is an easterly :eek:.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The difference between dr_pink and you guys is power output, we can put out 400W easily for short climbs and some of us much higher than that, dr_pink weighs 50kg and can't go anywhere near that although she has a very good power to weight ratio which is excellent for longer climbs. She did Monsal Head on 39x25 briefly and I would think then she could do Mow Cop on the same but would probably be more efficient on 39x27. The length of that
1 in 4 section is fairly crucial though so it looks as though we will have to ride it a few times on Sat afternoon.
I think you are correct Rob in that the Rake is very similar in profile, just not as long, but what you definitely don't want on 25% climbs are wet roads, so fingers crossed.

Chris says definatelly make sure to have a 25t, but I think he may be running a compact (edit: confirmed), so 27t in 39t language :smile: His other comment was "I'd also say beware of the kick when the road turns left for the first time, it's blind so easy to unknowingly overgear."

Another clubmate who has a good pair of climbing legs said "last time I did Mow Cop (July), I used my 52/36 Q Rings with an 11-25 cassette. I did the full thing on the 36t ring, using 21t on the first part of the climb and down to the 23t on the ramp. Dont remember using the 25t, but I may have."

Given that Helen used 39:25 on Monsal, I would recommend going with a 27t cassette for the steep bit. I used 39:21 for most of Monsal and would be going up 2 gears for a 25%er, so I'd be in 39:25, unless I was in beast mode that day and could wrestle 39:23 :smile:

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just seen the start sheet for Mow Cop. Strong field in the men's event, in the women's event Helen looks like the favourite for the win!

BTW, the start sheet for the Nationals is out :smile: I got in. 18 women riding, all the usual suspects.

Last edited:
Just seen the start sheet for Mow Cop. Strong field in the men's event, in the women's event Helen looks like the favourite for the win!

BTW, the start sheet for the Nationals is out :smile: I got in. 18 women riding, all the usual suspects.
Very useful information, thanks Rob. Yes, seen the start sheet for the National, Helen doesn't know whether to be scared or excited as they have ranked her very high indeed. Back to Mow Cop, if the wind direction is against I think even 39x27 is going to be tough. The promoting club have requested that all riders when finished should go to the top of the steep section to cheer the others on, great idea.

Top Bottom