Mower? too much choice, or too little?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
Maybe I didn't explain too well - I'm looking for a button I can operate that is central like the Webb, which has a 'bar' going across. The reason being that I want to be able to push centrally. I asked Webb about 'normal use lifetime' of the collection bag. Their response (see below) certainly reinforces my reasoning for a rigid collector!

Thank you for your email.
It is impossible to say, due to the nature of debris which is sometimes accidentally collected a bag can be penetrated by stones etc, which would not be classed as a manufacturing defect.
It is not an expected lifespan of the bag, but they are warrantied for 3 months only from the date of purchase for manufacturing defects.

I'm only looking for a corded mower - any tool I have which is cordless either isn't as powerful as I'd like, or I wreck the battery due to infrequent use.
looks like a sheep is the best option so far ^_^

My new Webb has that bar and a very powerful motor too.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No central button which the OP wants, I have the cordless version which is great, would never go back....

Can't beat a cordless mower.

Having had corded and petrol our little cordless (£230 from Homebase) demolishes our lawns even when wet and quite long.

Amazing how much faster it is to use when you don't have to faff about with a cord.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I cant remember the make of mine. But it is battery operated. As are all my other garden tools. It is so much easier than having a petrol or corded moder. Because it is easier the grass and hedge get cut more often

midlife

Guru
Maybe I didn't explain too well - I'm looking for a button I can operate that is central like the Webb, which has a 'bar' going across. The reason being that I want to be able to push centrally. I asked Webb about 'normal use lifetime' of the collection bag. Their response (see below) certainly reinforces my reasoning for a rigid collector!

Thank you for your email.
It is impossible to say, due to the nature of debris which is sometimes accidentally collected a bag can be penetrated by stones etc, which would not be classed as a manufacturing defect.
It is not an expected lifespan of the bag, but they are warrantied for 3 months only from the date of purchase for manufacturing defects.

I'm only looking for a corded mower - any tool I have which is cordless either isn't as powerful as I'd like, or I wreck the battery due to infrequent use.
looks like a sheep is the best option so far ^_^
Thought OP wanted a central button as written at the top of his post ? Did I miss read , presumably so as I am wrong and pointless.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

No central button which the OP wants, I have the cordless version which is great, would never go back....
Thanks guys.
The button itself can be anywhere, but (once the motor is turning) I want to be able to push with the centre of the handle, so yes, the Spear and Jackson seems ideal....... except for the 'floppy bag' grass collector :sad:

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks guys.
The button itself can be anywhere, but (once the motor is turning) I want to be able to push with the centre of the handle, so yes, the Spear and Jackson seems ideal....... except for the 'floppy bag' grass collector :sad:

That type of floppy bag is exactly the same as I had on the Mountfield petrol mower I had in our previous house - where it had a massive amount of use compared to most houses with "normal" sized gardens, and lasted for 20 years without a problem. It was the main mower which became uneconomical to repair further.

It has a rigid top & base, and the fabric between is very strong and long lasting.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That type of floppy bag is exactly the same as I had on the Mountfield petrol mower I had in our previous house - where it had a massive amount of use compared to most houses with "normal" sized gardens, and lasted for 20 years without a problem. It was the main mower which became uneconomical to repair further.

It has a rigid top & base, and the fabric between is very strong and long lasting.

I have a shite mower I wouldn't recommend as the blad eis made of cheese and the folding hande only really functions on one side now as a part snapped, so is bodged...BUT... the collection bag with the floppy sides is the one bit that is still perfect

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did away with my lawn and replaced it with a useable area over 10 years ago. I can now use that bit of the garden for more than just two weeks a year, it was a bit like adding an extra room to the house.

Gave the mower to a neighbour so they could worry about such things.....

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I did away with my lawn and replaced it with a useable area over 10 years ago. I can now use that bit of the garden for more than just two weeks a year, it was a bit like adding an extra room to the house.

Gave the mower to a neighbour so they could worry about such things.....

That's my plan for later in the year, already did that at the OH's place, which is why my knackered mower is limping on. I had to straighten the cutting blade with mole grips and a hammer after it developed a 90* bend on one leg of it.

A combo of artificial turf, gravel, hard surfaces and planting beds is more useful than wet grass!

Top Bottom