Mower? too much choice, or too little?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

I wonder if anyone can help with info on lawnmowers? I just want a simple 240v mower for a small garden. Things I've found....... the flymo (with wheels! - I value my back so NOT hover flymo) look ideal except the on/off control is on the left or right side of the handle ie cannot be operated when pushing the mower by the centre of the handle. Our present mower is like this, so means holding the flex with one hand, and pushing one-sided with the other - not easy. The Webb mover has a 'bar switch' which goes across the handle so the mower can be pushed by a hand on the centre of the handle whilst operating the on/off action - ideal, except the grass collection bag is fabric which I suspect isn't very durable! I don't want to be spending 2/3 of the cost of a mower in a couple of years' time to replace the bag, or end up buying a new mower - or indeed trying to make a grass collection box. So what I need is a Webb mower with the flymo collection box.......... Or can someone else suggest make/model, as I seem to have looked at every mower in creation. Maybe a sheep :laugh: is the best option. Why is buying anything never easy?

Buck

Guru
Bosch Rotak 34R is a good option for a corded mower.
why not look at battery mowers. Technology has really progressed in this area.

Jameshow

Veteran
Bosch Rotak 34R is a good option for a corded mower.
why not look at battery mowers. Technology has really progressed in this area.

I had a Bosch 43 was a great mower till it threw it's belt into the plastic body!!

Flymo look good too.

I have a Flymo hover mower which I'm trying to kill!🤣🤣🤣

dicko

Guru
I replaced our twenty plus year old Qualcast Fastrak mower with a Webb Weer 33 from eBay it was highly recommended by Gardners world and under £100 it termed out to be an excellent buy

Attachments

• IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    2.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Yeah, I like the Bosch mowers too having had many other brands!
This one seems to have power buttons on both sides...

Maybe I didn't explain too well - I'm looking for a button I can operate that is central like the Webb, which has a 'bar' going across. The reason being that I want to be able to push centrally. I asked Webb about 'normal use lifetime' of the collection bag. Their response (see below) certainly reinforces my reasoning for a rigid collector!

Thank you for your email.
It is impossible to say, due to the nature of debris which is sometimes accidentally collected a bag can be penetrated by stones etc, which would not be classed as a manufacturing defect.
It is not an expected lifespan of the bag, but they are warrantied for 3 months only from the date of purchase for manufacturing defects.

I'm only looking for a corded mower - any tool I have which is cordless either isn't as powerful as I'd like, or I wreck the battery due to infrequent use.
looks like a sheep is the best option so far ^_^

presta

Guru
I've had three mowers in the last 50-odd years.

The first was a Qualcast Rota Mini, which was fine, and no trouble, but it was just too small and under-powered, especially when the grass was long.*

The second (which I still have in working order) is a Flymo DLE, which is great, no bother, and so easy to use with no wheels. I decided to get another because it also struggled with the first cut of the year, and it has no grass box. So I bought a.....

Bosch Rotak, which I absolutely hate. I really don't know what posessed me to buy a mower with wheels, after decades of using a Flymo I'd completely forgotten what a PITA they are. Awkward corners are a doddle with the Flymo because you can glide any which way, but if I stand with my back to the wall to start a new strip with the Rotak, the blade's several feet from the end of the lawn, so you have to cut a patch at each end to turn around in. It's also full of orifices that get choked with cuttings, no such problem with the Flymo, it's completely smooth underneath, like an upturned saucer. The height adjust on the Rotak baulks and sticks to, so that's a nuisance to operate, and the switch sometimes sticks on, so that's a bit of a safety hazard.

*My aunt had a Rota Mini too, but she used to let her grass grow long and then had no sensitivity for the capacity of the machine she was using. So she thrashed it, then she'd come to me and ask me to fix it. The gearbox had a small diecast pinion on the motor and a large nylon gear wheel on the blade shaft, and when I took it apart I found that the pinion was coated in a ball of molten nylon, like candy floss round a stick, and no teeth left on the nylon gear. :laugh:

I don't know how many times I fixed it, and then told her to be more gentle with it, but it never made any difference, she was always coming back with it.

midlife

Guru
No central button which the OP wants, I have the cordless version which is great, would never go back....

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Nearly all of them seem to be a button and a bar to start, I think it's designed as a safety feature to stop accidental switching on. I've got a Qualcast which was okay but went for as larger Black & Decker which lasted about 2 years and packed in so we're back on the Qualcast again.

Top Bottom