Mr Thicky...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Carwash said:
This was true in the past, but is no longer really accurate.

Don't misunderstand: I've nothing against iTunes (although I prefer not to use it myself). I just don't think it's at all relevant to this thread.

(I was also sort of teasing Alec, whose stock answer to any computer question seems to be either 'Get a Mac!' or 'Use iTunes!' instead of attempting to address the question, and regardless of whether it's actually appropriate. :ohmy:

ooh you cheeky monkey! i have many friends who were having problems with pc specific music applications, who found my recommended move to itunes solved them, probably just because it's easy to use.

Carwash

Señor Member
alecstilleyedye said:
ooh you cheeky monkey!

;D

Carwash said:
This was true in the past, but is no longer really accurate.

Don't misunderstand: I've nothing against iTunes (although I prefer not to use it myself). I just don't think it's at all relevant to this thread.

My apologies :biggrin:. I actually still own a G3 powerbook although it gave up the ghost last year. I used or was involved with macs in one way or another for seven years of my working life and liked them. I just never liked the expensive itunes download options, the variable cost of music depending on which country you live in. I own an ipod nano thinking about it. itunes still has a habbit of clipping the last coule of secods when you rip a song and have released dodgy software updates. I also love trying to wind up the apple fanboys.

Carwash

Señor Member
Ghost Donkey said:
My apologies :biggrin:. I actually still own a G3 powerbook although it gave up the ghost last year. I used or was involved with macs in one way or another for seven years of my working life and liked them. I just never liked the expensive itunes download options, the variable cost of music depending on which country you live in. I own an ipod nano thinking about it. itunes still has a habbit of clipping the last coule of secods when you rip a song and have released dodgy software updates. I also love trying to wind up the apple fanboys.

No worries. We are an easily wound up bunch sometimes. :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Ghost Donkey said:

what's wrong with it? i have the pieces of a dead g3 wallstreet lying around if you need spares. i think the power supply board is blown on mine.

alecstilleyedye said:
what's wrong with it? i have the pieces of a dead g3 wallstreet lying around if you need spares. i think the power supply board is blown on mine.

Snap :biggrin:, and there's no workshop where I work for me to take a look at it to see if I can fix it. Thanks for the offer though.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Ghost Donkey said:
Snap :biggrin:, and there's no workshop where I work for me to take a look at it to see if I can fix it. Thanks for the offer though.
the hard drive is quite easy to remove, and you can get a usb caddy for it for buttons on ebay, and you can then use it as an external drive.

I popped the hard drive out when it failed and copied everything accross form a caddy. I had everything like photos backup up anyway but it was just in case I forgot anything. It's only a 40 gig drive but it was new when I bought the laptop second hand so put it in a $12 from Taiwan caddy which fits in my coat pocket and it still works.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

My internet access is down (at home ) at the moment, I will try taking all the music files off Media Player, and re-loading them from the rip tab, making sure to take the remove write protection option.

What really bugs me is I managed it once before, but havent managed to repeat it since:blush: not sure what I'm doing different, after all it is fairly straightforward drop down menu driven idiot proof (or maybe not:blush:)

Thanks for all the advice, even if Carwash and Ghost Donkey seem to have hijacked the tread :evil::tongue:

Carwash

Señor Member
User259iroloboy said:
Thanks for all the advice, even if Carwash and Ghost Donkey seem to have hijacked the tread :evil::tongue:

<stares guiltily at floor and shuffles feet awkwardly>

Sorry, mister. We was jus' fillin' the vacuum left by your absence... ...like. :'(

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

:evil: I'm the one who should be feelin' guilty, it's fecking -2 outside and dropping, I'm hiding in my office on the pretext of doing a file for the CPS and I'm listening to radio 2 and posting on here, good job sarge has gone home for the day!

Gotta go out soon to visit some disfunctional kid who keeps ringing the 9's from their mobile, then hanging up, they're too fecking stoopid to realise that their number is recorded and triangulated to the subscribers address...D'oh!

User259iroloboy said:
, I will try taking all the music files off Media Player, and re-loading them from the rip tab, making sure to take the remove write protection option.

Yowser, that's a bit severe. If the problem's not write protection related you're adding a lot of work for yourself. Just do one cd and see if that cures it.

]What really bugs me is I managed it once before said:
Definitely don't go in for the kill and delete everything. Good luck though.

yenrod

Mortirol - i'm 'an experienced' in this...

1st get your - microSD card and put it in a cardreader then open that up via my comp. the open the music file in the comp. too! select all what you wanna copy then paste them into the card file...

BUT sometimes it hasnt worked for me

1 - card needs formatting;

a: format as it suggested as by windows formatter.

b: sometimes you've got to format it to NTFS then back to fat/32 to get it recognise it..

My prob was Vista not seeing the bloody card..and when it did it had halfed the capxacity of it :smile:

NB - its not wholly industry wide the software thats encrypted on to the cards ie Sandisk/Kingston etc..all are slightly different.

So technically I hope the above has helped you in some way !

Also; reportedly - the new release that windows have done windows7 or something improves this...

Top Bottom