Mrs V finally understands me after 15 years.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
Tilley are an issue... I suffer from T+1

As with bikes they have specific uses, the ventilated summer hat, the tweed winter hat heavy duty for canal boats etc and the lightweight for daily use
I've just got a the T3 in Khaki - a present from my mum when I decided to stop wearing baseball caps.... I've done the tenner thing in the top 'gag' a few times but it only seems to stay in there for a day or two normally lasts until we are going past a pub on a walk and my son loves the story about the elephant keeper

OP
OP
simon the viking
... and you know that Tilley do a range of Fedoras?
Just had another look at that link it would have to be a..... TWF5 in grey.... exactly what I want, even the colour but I don't think I could justify it.... no I can't..... Definitely not, never ever......:whistle: It wouldn't be off Mrs V and Little-un anyway...... so I'll probably stick with the black River Island one and maybe upgrade to the Tilley if I wear it enough.....

Their guarantee works as well. I have the original Intrepid bag, and a seam on one of the pockets frayed - Sent photos and they asked for the bag back

Two weeks later bag came back, along with a letter explaining that after a couple of bags coming back they had narrowed it down to the plastic stiffener being too sharp. This was now being replaced with an alternative.
I would be sent the first of the new batch with the new stiffeners

Three weeks later the new bag arrived

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I never leave the house without a hat and most usually a fedora. I'm a big fan of the Akubras. Not cheap (well out of your budget I suspect) but will last a very long time.
I bought a cheapish wool fedora from hats and caps http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/?gclid=CJ6tz9jk3sUCFfMZtAodMw8AdA
I only wear it for gardening now, it looks very poor next to a 'proper' fur felt hat.
I always dress well (Blazer/jacket, shirt and tie) and I get the occasional comment, usually the men are quite dismissive and or negative while all the women are very positive and will go out of their way to tell me how good I look, especially when I wear spectators!
2ZsJFb6.gif

Attachments

• 2ZsJFb6.gif
    2ZsJFb6.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
simon the viking
I have three Tilleys (and a fourth on the way - but don't tell Mr R). I've also got a couple of fedoras, two Panamas and a Stetson.

For those who like hats I can recommend Laird Hatters.
What a fab wesite... the site just oozes class... but whilst they had what I wanted (a crushable fedora in grey) alas it was out of my league.... for the time being.... perhaps If I wear a cheaper one reguarly, Mrs V might (only might) take pity......

OP
OP
simon the viking
She's only gone and blinking ordered it... which means I have permission to wear it whilst out with her in public, result! Can't have it until fathers day, however she will permit me to try it on before hand for sizing issues as long as I keep my eyes closed!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Ha! Found it just sent a rather un-subtle link to Mrs V's email...... River Island Do a grey one in little-un's/Mrs V's budget

http://www.riverisland.com/men/accessories/hats/Grey-felt-fedora-hat-284033
Looks great. I'm sure you'll wear it well.
Be careful of the hat version of N+1 though, before you know it you'll "need" a couple of different colours and styles.:biggrin:

OP
OP
simon the viking
Looks great. I'm sure you'll wear it well.
Be careful of the hat version of N+1 though, before you know it you'll "need" a couple of different colours and styles.:biggrin:
This is already my second 'serious' hat (I'm not including baseball caps obviously that may still be about) a Tilley being the original but may get a different coloured fedora if I like the look ..... I think Mrs V crumbled as Little-un has took to wearing a rather fetching blue check trilby we found on holiday....

I'm just wondering what my bro will say the first time he sees me wearing it.... he's a partner in a law firm so has a great line in sarcasm/irony and general p**s taking......

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
This is already my second 'serious' hat (I'm not including baseball caps obviously that may still be about) a Tilley being the original but may get a different coloured fedora if I like the look ..... I think Mrs V crumbled as Little-un has took to wearing a rather fetching blue check trilby we found on holiday....

I'm just wondering what my bro will say the first time he sees me wearing it.... he's a partner in a law firm so has a great line in sarcasm/irony and general p**s taking......
Ignore him:gun:
I love wearing my hat and a few sarky comments from someone else wouldn't put me off.
Two quotes that I like; Oscar Wilde said "you can never be overdressed or over educated" and Mae West said "it is better to be looked over than overlooked"

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thread ressurection alert... (not that bad though threads only a week old)
It's arrived and looks fab.... I was allowed to see it and try it on:smile:... its now gone away though:sad:

IMAG0276_BURST006.jpg

Top Bottom